File Sizes

I've got a map that I have been working on, and someone advised that I use the fractalize tool to make my land masses look more natural. I did this, and it worked very well. However, now my map is about 5 meg. in size and CC3 is very slow loading the map, locks up for long periods when trying to trace the map edge, and crashes sometimes while zooming.

Does anyone know how I might make this work better without reducing the map size or starting over?

By the way, my PC is extremely new, I have an 8-core processor and 16 gigs of RAM, so I know it's not the PC; I suspect the application is just not meant to handle files like this, but there must be some way to get the program to better handle files of this size...5 megs is really not that big.

Comments

• I think that the fractalization tip was mine. Sorry if it screw your map. Try to save different stages of your map so you can come back when things get ugly. I learned it in the hard way... My maps when they are finished have normaly +- 20 mb and almost crashs my machine every time that I try to do something more on them =). To acelerate the map you can go to View - Display Speed Settings and turn things down there when you are working on the map.
  • It sound like you ended up with too many nodes when you fractalized.

You can resolve this by:
    Right click on the fractalize button
    Select delete nodes
    Select your landmass, the number of nodes will be reduced

Repeat the delete nodes command until your system speed and trace responds better.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: CorinTack5 megs is really not that big
    Actually, 5 megs are quite large. You have to think about what the file contains. In these 5 megs, you can put enough detail that it would take an image file of hundreds of megs (and even a lot more) to show the same data. Viewing a file is far more than simply loading the file into memory.

You should follow Shessar's advice above, that will probably help you.

One note about fractalization though. You should fractalize the entities to an acceptable level for the zoom level the map is intended to be viewed in. Do not fractalize it with the intent that it should look incredible detailed at any zoom level, rather make a new local map for areas where you need to provide additional "deep zoom" detail. If you fractalize too much, you actually start running into limitations in the underlying Windows operating system.