Sheet affects for this map ?

Comments

• Dificult question... First I would try to turn everything a little less shining. Maybe some texture to the green fields and difinely a blur to the streets.
  • And here is the zipped map file. I haven't used any bitmap fills, so this should work for anyone who has CC3.
  • I could tone down the color on the druid buildings, but otherwise I'm not sure what you mean by 'too shiny'

Hmm... i was going to work on the roads, evidently I have a number of things on the wrong sheet again. Since I have to get up way too early in the morning for work, I'll have to work on it tomorrow.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Add some edge fade effects to create smooth transitions, especially on the green below the druid trees. Some shadows from the buildings ans trees would be nice. As Mateus090985 said, some texture on the greens. Use the texturize effect for this, of the concrete and paper texture files will provide a nice look.
    Edge fade on the streets
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited April 2012
    Here is edge fade on the green under the druid trees and drop shadow to all symbols.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    hmm.. Swap that edge fade effect on the green polygons with an Edge Fade, Inner effect instead. We wish to fade the edge, not the center. That should look much better. Try with an edge width of about 25.

I also noticed that the roofs on your houses are not shaded properly. Some buildings have the dark (shadowy) side pointing to the north, other to the south (and other directions) Do you own CD3? If so, you should use the buildings from it, since these uses shaded polygons for the roof. When using buildings with shaded polygons as roof sections, the dark sides of all the buildings will always point in the same direction (determined by global sun), no matter how much you rotate the buildings.
  • I have CD3... those are mostly CC2 buildings. I'll look it over when I get the chance. I thought I had done edge fade...
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Jim, "Edge Fade" and "Edge Fade Inner" are too different effects. The former fades from the outside inwards (good for colored borders), the latter the other way around (good for fading one fill into the other). You need the latter.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited April 2012
    Used inner at 25, and drop shadow on the symbols sheet. I hate to say this, but I can barely see the edge fade on the tree areas. I see a difference. But it doesn't look better to me. Nor all that obvious...

Hmmm. I have the druid forest on a sheet by itself, but the lettering and arrows seem to have something going on as well.

Very tired long work week, so I'll check back later or Saturday.

Edit: typos.
  • Looking at the two maps, the new one looks A LOT BETTER. Congratulations.
  • My eyes don't see much difference. That is the problem for me.

Still not sure what is meant by 'too shiny'. Do you mean, add more gray ? tone down the color to a less bright shade ?

Thing is, I don't have much spare time. I do have more hobbies these days than I did when I first started making maps. So... I'll have to think about adding sheet affects to all my maps. MAybe when I get out of the job market in 2 years, getting old and want to enjoy my elder years, so I might do more on it then.
  • I hope none of my replies came across as being grouchy. I realized this past week I'm spending too much time on hobbies and not enough on getting ready for retirement. And getting ready for retirement is going to have to become more important in my life.