Converting Hand Map to CC3 / Noob Help

I purchased CC3 today and started playing with it and did the tutorials in the manual.

I have a hand drawing of the outline of my 2 continents (originally scanned, then printed each continent out on 8x11 and designed them then)

I read through the turtorial on importing bmp files and under stand it. So now to my questions.

1) determining scale of the overall world / how big to make the map?
2) Eventually would like to make a world map (showing Country break downs), then continent maps (with more detail and major cities and towns). Then possibly some major city maps. Any recommendations on the easiest way to go about this?

Thank you for any help/advice.

Comments

• The short answer I'll offer is: Big enough to give your players/readers a sense of wonder and small enough that they don't get bored playing/reading about months of road and inn adventures in between the main plot :)
    The long answer starts with a few questions for you:
    is your map going to be used for gaming or a story? do you have cities mapped out on your hand drawn map? if so, have you thought how long it would take to walk, ride a horse, fly a steam powered amblicoptor between them? There are alot of world building sites on the web, you can google "world building" (or check out some of the links on ProFantasy's website).
    Not sure what country you live in, but a good analogue would be to look at a local map of your area and ask yourself: how long would it take me to walk/run/ride from A to B and then use that to set the scale of your map.
    I've drawn many maps that needed to be rescaled once I finished them because I wasn't happy with the size and I've deleted and redrawn whole regions that while they looked cool, just didn't fit the theme of the map. In the end, the fun is in discovering your world as it's built.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Regarding your question 1: Measure your original and see what distances it encompasses. Say it shows 2000 by 1500 miles. Then make the CC3 map you create this size as, conveniently, CC3 measures overland maps in miles/km.