Can't change sheet/layer

I used the Default Terrain option and drew a polygon on my map. I had the wrong terrain type selected (it was forest, which isn't what I wanted). So I used the Change Properties option to change the fill from forest to mountain.

The problem I'm running into is that when I originally drew the terrain as forest it assigned it to the Forest sheet, Vegetation layer. Now it's covering up some mountain pieces I put over the terrain. So I selected it again using Change Properties and changed the sheet to Terrain and the layer to Minerals/Mountains (and made sure the check boxes were checked) and clicked "ok". The problem is that it isn't making the change. The terrain feature is remaining on the Forest sheet, Vegetation layer.

If anybody has any clue as to how I can overcome this I would be grateful.

CNYGamer

Comments

• Instead of tyring to "fix" the sheet / layer issue, you could just delete the offending poly and redraw it on the correct layer and sheet that you want. I've been down the same road as you and after spending what seemed like hours trying to get it right I deleted the poly and redrew it... Another tip: The current Sheet and Layer being drawn on is reflected on the change properties menu, the menu doesn't show what sheet and layer are currently assigned to the item you are editing. In other words, if you want to change the properties of a Tree symbol and the active sheet (the sheet with the check mark) is rivers, Change Preoperties will show Rivers in the Sheet drop down box, even though it is assigned to the Symbols Sheet.

Keep Calm
    and
    Map On
  • CNYGamerCNYGamer Newcomer
    Thank you for replying.

It turns out that the situation is resolved. I actually just started a whole new map and things are behaving as expected. When I created the map on which I was having trouble I selected the SS1 Fantasy Color map style. I wonder if there is something with that style that causes the erratic behavior because I was having all kinds of issues with commands not behaving as expected then I created a new map using CC3 standard overland style and everything seems to be working.

Oh well, maybe it was just one of those things.

CNYGamer
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Sorry, no idea what was going wrong there. If you still want to check it out, post the misbehaving map here, so we can take a look.
  • It may be that you were not selecting the entity that you thought: Many of the styles put down two identical entities on top of one another: One is the filled-in polygon and the other is the border. If you used the "choose only 1" version of the change command, you may have moved the outline but not the filled-in polygon. You could try hiding the target sheet & layer and try again.

Then again, it might be something else going on. As Ralf suggests, if you post the map, we are likely to see very quickly what's going on.

Steve