Trying to add coastlines

I've used a Traveller world template to mark out the basic continent shapes, as well as basic terrain: mountains, hills, deserts, etc.

Now, I'd like to create more detail, such as actual coastlines, rivers, and adding forest, mountains, etc.

I've tried to add a river, using the basic controls, but I seem to be doing something wrong, as the river wasn't visible.

Should I start over, or can I insert the map as a background of some type, and then add my details on the proper layers and sheets as I go along?

I've posted this over on the Yahoo group, as well, just to increase coverage of my question.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Check your sheet order. The normal reason for stuff like rivers disappearing is that your landmass (or other features on top of the landmass) is on a sheet that is higher in the sheet order than the rivers, thus causing them to be drawn on top of the rivers symbols.

The traveler templates are hex templates, so if you have used hex symbols instead of landmass tools to draw your map, check which sheet the hexes are on. They'll usually end up on the symbols sheet, which is normally above the rivers sheet in the order.