Can't install DD2 compatibility update for CC3 - .NET error

Found another thread about the same error with DD3; can't yet afford to update to DD3, so I installed CC3 and such, then installed DD2, then tried to install the DD2 Compatibility Update for CC3 and got the error that I needed to install .NET, with the link directing me to .NET 2.0

I have all .NET versions that Windows 7 supports installed, through 4.0

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Posted By: KravenKorFound another thread about the same error with DD3; can't yet afford to update to DD3, so I installed CC3 and such, then installed DD2, then tried to install the DD2 Compatibility Update for CC3 and got the error that I needed to install .NET, with the link directing me to .NET 2.0

I have all .NET versions that Windows 7 supports installed, through 4.0

Any help appreciated.
    I had the exact same problem quite a few times - I got it to work though by uninstalling CC3 COMPLETELY using REVO UNINSTALLER (Use caution if you have that app, because if you delete the wrong root files with REVO - you'll crash big time - make sure that you follow screen directions EXPLICITLY) - and then re-installing it, which tells me that likely it's a Windows issue (yet ANOTHER one) - and yet another symptom of "dll Hell".

You don't have to use an uninstaller app though - just try uninstalling it the regular run of the mill way - and then re-installing it. I would suggest downloading CCleaner from Piriform Software (http://www.piriform.com/), and when you've got that installed - use it to do a complete system cleaning and then back that up with a registry scan and repair (CCleaner has that ability). After you clean out the gunk - try installing CC3. Piriform and REVO are good apps (no malware, adware, or wormies) IF you get them directly from the manufacturer's websites - NOT a cheapy 3rd party site like "Brothersoft" or "Freesoftwaredownloads.com" - as I have had the dire misfortune of picking up backdoor hijackers and sneak boxes from sites like this.

Might be a good idea to :

#1, clean out the puter -
    #2, reinstall .NET 4 -
    #3, reinstall CC3.

Give that a try and then let us know if you got it going ok.

Another great idea is to just wait and see if a member of the staff chimes in on this thread - which more than likely it's practically gauranteed that they will - and they're going to know a lot more than I do anyway.
  • Hopefully you installed in C:\Profantasy and not C:\Program Files\Profantasy
  • edited April 2012
    Try Jim's suggestion first after you do the steps that I've suggested - i.e., get rid of the old install and then do a clean up. Jim knows his stuff!
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    edited April 2012
    This has nothing to do with the location of the CC3 install.

You need .Net 1.1 for the DD2 compatibility update - which unfortunately is not natively available in Windows 7. It can be installed though, please see these instructions.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    One additional note here.

I notice you wrote that you installed DD2, then tried to install the compatibility update.

DO NOT install DD2 first. Doing so can actually mess up your CC3 installation. ONLY install the compatibility update. Note that this have nothing to do with the .net problems, read Ralf's post for that. But if you install DD2 into your CC3 installation directory, you might actually need to reinstall CC3 because it replaces some files with the CC2 equivalents.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Correct, I overlooked the "installed DD2" part.
  • Yeah... I think I'll just wait until I can upgrade. Cleaned it all out, reinstalled to C:\ProFantasy, and installed the various updates and plugins. Trying to install just the DD2 compat update, I get the same error, and don't feel like messing around with those .NET 1.1 instructions.