CC3 & Win7

Looking for a little help.

I have a 4 month old HP Pavilion g6 with Windows 7. I tried to install CC2 and CC3, along with City, Dungeons and Overland and, although the products load -- for the most part -- they are not really "there" for me to use. After installation, I get two error messages:

"FCW32: fcw32.exe - Entry Point not found. The procedure entry point _MLTextSplitX@12 could not be located in the dynamic link library fcw32.exe."

This is closely followed by the message:

"Error 00000007F loading XPmodule XPPWG2.DLL"

I'm a computer neophyte and have no idea what any of this means, or is telling me. Any help to get my programs up and running would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• If you installedi n C:\Program Files\ don't.

Vista and Win 7 don't like changes in that folder.

Install into C:\Profantasy\CC3\

The installer should create them if they don't exist.

Otherwise, I have no idea.
  • Thanks, Jim.

I'm not exactly sure what "folder" it installed to. But I have to uninstall anyway, so I'll check that out. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    If it's not too late, first try to install the CC3 Update 10 available from your registration page. Use the "Run as Administrator" option (right-click) to run the setup file. This sounds like your CC3 version is not up to date.
  • Ah! Something new! Thanks, Ralf.

I tried Jim's suggestion -- just now -- and it APPEARED to work, except: City Designer 3 cannot load -- there's an "error." And I still can't seem to get a "new" background page loaded. Driving me nuts. I just don't know enough about computers. Damn shame. You have to go to school for computers these days just to install software. I'm beginning to hate computer manufacturers!

Thanks, guys.
  • Amend that. City Designer 3 cannot install, because of the error.
  • Okay, I uninstalled then reinstalled the program, allowing it to choose it's own "destination." This time, City Designer 3 was able to install. However, I got the two error messages once more when I started the program.

I proceeded anyway and was allowed to begin choosing my map design. But then, I clicked "finish."

Yep! I was told that "fcw32.exe has stopped working." I was then informed that Windows would notify me when I solution to the problem was found. Then the program closed.

I bought this computer and it came with Windows 7. I was unaware that Windows 95, or 98, or XP were "broken." But I guess they were because we were given Vista and now Win7. Far too much BS for a simple person such as myself. Can't even install and run a simple software program.

Yes, I definitely hate the computer manufacturers. They cease producing operating programs that work perfectly well, in order to force people to buy the "new" program and then, nothing you already own works anymore. Pure BS.

But this isn't the forum for that topic.

Thanks for trying, guys. I just won't get to do any mapping.

Ralf, thanks for your suggestion, but I don't have the funds to pay for updates at this time -- another pet peeve.
  • ClerconClercon Betatester Traveler
    When you say that you let the program choose its own destination, does it install under C:\program files\profantasy or does it install under C:\profantasy. As said earlier this is very important. If you install under C:\program files the program might give you all the problems you describe (this has to do with permissions etc). Install CC3 and CD3 under C:\profantasy or create a new folder under C:\ called installations and install under c:\installations\profantasy. Also when you install the program right click the installation file and select "run as administrator". This will give the installation process some more permissions (it will let you write in places you otherwise wont be alowed to). And first of all redownload all the files from profantasy's homepage so you know you have the latest versions.

This should make it work for you (it is what I've done and it runs like a charm on my computer) and I work as an IT engineer so I do know a bit what I'm talking about :)
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: TonyRalf, thanks for your suggestion, but I don't have the funds to pay for updates at this time -- another pet peeve.
    CC3 updates are free for all registered CC3 users. Just go to your registration page and download it.
  • @ Clercon,

Allow me to clarify. First, it downloaded under C:\programs files\profantasy and I got the error messages.

Next, I "told" it to download under C:\ProFantasy. CC3 loaded, but CD3 WOULD NOT download -- period. It Just said that CC3 could not be located on my computer, told me to install CC3 and then closed the program. It gave me no options. So . . .

I allowed it to download to it's "chosen" location of C:\programs files\profantasy. This allowed CD3 to download. But the error messages returned -- of course -- and the program remains unusable. I now chose my background, click "finish" and . . . Ta da -- "fcw32.exe has stopped working. Windows will notify you when a solution to this problem is found."

And the program closes.

@ Monson,

It's actually a friends software and he's loaned me the CDs to install it on my computer. I'll have to get his information. Thanks!
  • Contacted my friend -- our computers are networked -- and he already had the updated. I just installed it and it apparently WORKED! Woo-hoo!

At least, I got to my actual working screen, now I have to play with it.

Thanks so much, guys. You're a great bunch of people!
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    edited March 2012
    Hello Tony,

please be aware that the license agreement for CC3 does not allow your friend to share the software with you. If you have not purchased CC3 yourself, you are using it illegally. In that case I must request that you either purchase a valid license for CC3 (and any add-ons you use) immediately, or completely uninstall the software from your computer.

Kind regards,
    Ralf Schemmann

P.S.: To clarify from the license: Should you and your friend be living at the same street address, the installation on two computers would be legal, provided you don't use the software at the same time.