Hexes

According to the CC3 websiet......"To make the creation of walls and other constructions simple, CC3 lets you snap your cursor to a pre-defined grid. You can turn this on or off at any time, even in the middle of drawing, and define your own grids. Grids can be rectangular or hexagonal."
I can't find anything that tells me how to do this. Not on the Adobe User Manual or my CC3 booklet,the Essentials.
Can anyone help. I only got this program to make hexes for a game.
Thanks in advance and a reply to my email would be most helpful.
paul
sleeplessinyak@yahoo.com

Comments

• ARe you looking to draw hexes, or just snap your drawings to them?
  • I'm making a game that will use hexes kinda like in settlers of catan. So I just want to make individual hexes that will print out about 3" or 8cm in size as a final product
  • No numbers I found how to do a numbered hex grid but that's not what I want. And they are too small.
  • Ok, since you're going to be printing these out at "real world" scale, you need to decide what scale you're creating them at, because that will help determine what template you start off with, and what scale you'll use to print them out at. And that will be needed to set your hex grid size.

To set the Grid you snap to, on the bottom right of the CC3 window, there is a grid button. If it's "depressed", the Grid will be on. If it's up, it will not be. (Snap must be "depressed" for Snap to work). Anyway, right click on that button to set your grid options.

To draw a grid over the top of your drawing, in the upper left corner of the tool bar (I think, my copy may not have the toolbars in the default positions anymore), there is a little button that looks like a tic-tac-toe board - this is the grid tool - click it to bring up your grid options.

Finally, if you're just drawing single hexes, you can right click on the polygon tool in the right had tool par nd select regular polygon, or you can select poloygon from the draw menu.

If that's clear as mud (and it probably is - I'm terrible at imparting my CC3 knowledge over a written form), someone else will be along to help clarify eventually, I'm sure
  • thanks for the help, I've been playing with it. When i right click on grid and set it to 50 mile hex it doesn't change from squares. When I click on the tic tac toe button it fills in with little numbered hexes. then if I do ctrl Z it gets rid of the little hexes and leaves a hex grid of dots. Found that by accident? So I'm getting close. Don't understand the scaling yet
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Regarding the scaling: In CC3 we usually use real-world units to work with in the maps. I.e. if you are drawing a map of an region, your drawing units will be miles (or kms), in sync with the "real" size of the area shown. E.g if you start a standard overland map without changing its size, it will be 1000x800 drawing units, that means it shows an area if 1000 miles by 800 miles.

In the "Grid Overlay" dialog, you set the size of your hexes, in these drawing units. The "Grid spacing" field contains the size, so if you enter "50" here, your hexes will be 50 miles across, from center to center.

All of this does not define the print size yet, as we are working with virtual drawing units which can be scaled to any size. This happens in the print dialog.

Click the Print button and in the dialog, see the "Scaling" options. Choose "Scale factor" and set the scale you want to print at. Say your hexes are 50 units (miles) across, that's what you put in "Drawing distance". in "Paper distance" fill in what print size one of your hexes should be, e.g. 3" or 8cm - make sure to include the " or cm. CC3 will print the map so that one hex exactly is that size on paper.

I hope that clarifies the scaling.
  • At risk of muddying the water further, what you may want to use is Draw>Hex or Square Overlay...

I haven't used it much, but it gives you options about which way the hexes run, their size, snaps, and numbering.

Hopefully that gets you where you want to be.