Crashed during scroll and zoom

Well, every once in a while I would crash with a white empty map when scrolling or zooming. I would quit without saving and reload the map and be fine.

Well it crashed, and just as it did I got a phone call, so I automatically hit the save button.

Now when I open it it all gone...gone.../sob.

Comments

• I suggest in future you do a 'save as' filename01, filename02, etc. That way if the map crashes, as mine did to me after too much fractalization today, I could go back one version and retrieve my work from the previous 'save as'.

As for how often to save as, that is a personal decision. I typically save as before a complicated change, and right after.

Or if I'm putting in a mountain range or large forest, I save as multiple times during that.

Ralf or someone else might be able to help you recover your work.

In the mean time, did you try 'Zoom extents', upper right of CC3, ?
  • SkidAceSkidAce Traveler
    edited March 2012
    I am getting back into the habit of sequential saves, I did it faithfully in CC1 and 2. Got lazy recently.

Once it goes white during scrolling or zooming, its gone, zoom extents is my go to button for finding where I am when things go crazy. But it can be misleading also.

One time a point got put somewhere millions of miles/pixels away from the campaign map, so when I zoomed extent it went totally white (not the problem above, although it looks the same) because the campaign map and the bogus point were so far away from each other.

I have a saved "Named view" ever since then, that lets me know when it has crashed or added something bogus, at which point I delete everything outside my map border and go back to zoom extents and all is well.

But back on topic, zoom extents is a good start, but it does not solve the crash while zooming or scrolling problem.

I did notice a flicker of what may have been my map when I tried turning effects on and off to see what happened. Like its trying to draw it but running into an error.

Thanks for your thoughts....
  • You're welcome.

I remember a problem with scrolling and then a crash that was solved by zoom extents and then zoom in. But I think that was fixed last year, I could be wrong.
  • I still have this problem with CC3 both versions 3.41 and 3.42 do this sometime when scrolling around the map. The program just quits.
  • 3.42 is the newest version.