Jon Roberts "Lake" Tool

Hello Hive Mind,

When I am waiting inspiration to continue my "real" world map, I am doing a rapid one using Jon Roberts style (CA 51 I think). But I am having a little problem with the "Lake" tool. I want the lake to be a smooth one OR (and this is what I prefer) to be a nice fractalization. But when I use the "fractalize" tool I got the result on the image. Does anyone know how I can solve it?

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    The lake consists of two entities, the water background and the blue outline. The Fractalize tool only works on one , so the coastline remains unfractalized.

Seeing that your standard coastline doesn't seem to have the blue outline, I'd simply delete the lake outline. If you want it gone from the tool for future use, simply click the Advanced button in the drawing tools, select the "River, Lake" tool, click "Outline" and set it to no outline.

Alternatively, if you want to keep the blue outline of the lake, simply use the Fractalize tool on it with the same settings as on the lake body.

P.S.: May I suggest to go a little easy on the fractalization? Your coastlines already seem to have A LOT OF nodes, and you might run into handling/editing problems if you add much more.
  • Thanks for the reply Ralf. In my costlines I usually draw a "almost square" form (I think that for this map I used +- 30 clicks to do the main continet) and then I use one click of the fractalize tool in the 60% / 15 settings. This is really too much?
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    You can also edit the drawing tool and change it from a poly to fractal.
    We really should update fractalise so it works on mulitple or at least stacked entities.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    edited March 2012
    Posted By: Mateus090985Thanks for the reply Ralf. In my costlines I usually draw a "almost square" form (I think that for this map I used +- 30 clicks to do the main continet) and then I use one click of the fractalize tool in the 60% / 15 settings. This is really too much?
    That's still okay, but the upper limit of what I would do with a frx command. There's a reason 15 is the upper limit in that dialog! ;)
  • jaerdaphjaerdaph Traveler
    Posted By: Simon RogersYou can also edit the drawing tool and change it from a poly to fractal.
    We really should update fractalise so it works on mulitple or at least stacked entities.
    That would be a great time saver and something I know I would use quite regularly.
  • Instead of a square lake and fractalize, I use smooth polygon. Draw a lake in the general shape I want it, and then fractalize.