in FT3, rotate a map ?

I found a map in ft3 i want to use, but I would like to rotate it 180 degrees, swap east for west.

I don't see anything in the ft3 help file on this in rotate nor in export. No rotate method I can find.

The only way I can think of to do it in CC3, would be to import the map as a bmp or png, that has been rotated, and trace the map from that.

Is there another way to rotate a ft3 map ?

Thanks.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Rotation is simple, just define a custom projection in the Projections.txt file in the FT3 install directory. Here is an example of a rotated Equirectangular projection.

Note that the map is only rotated when you view it using this projection, but since FT3 export maps using the currently active projection, this shouldn't be a problem.

Obviously, since this is a rotation, it doesn't only swap east and west, but north and south will be swapped as well. If you want to mirror it instead of rotating it, I have no idea on how to accomplish that.

Projection 93, "Equirectangular Rotated 180" Scale 1.0 Description "Equirectangular Rotated 180" Segment "Equirectangular", 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0 scale 1, 1 Offset 0, 0 Effective -180, 90, 180, -90 Rotate 180 EndSegment EndProjection
  • Yeah, swap all 4 compass directions.
    Then the projection I posted should work fine for you. It is the standard equirectangular projection, just rotated 180 degrees. If you wish to base it in another projection, basically just swap out the word Equirectangular everywhere it appears with the correct name of the desired projection (As found in the FT3 projections dialog)
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    Assuming that you haven't done any editing, another option is to use the "Flip Vertical" or "Flip Horizontal" checkbox on the Fractal Function page of the World Settings property sheet.
  • I don't see it in the list of projections under Map menu -> Change projection.

I did have ft3 closed when I edited the Projection.txt
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited February 2012
    Ah, now I see it. I had to change the description to include the 'rotate 180' part.

Hmm. Mountains become valleys and the oceans become blue mountains. Changing the world seed doesn't make it look different.

Fixed it by changing the offset from 0,0 to -0,-0.

Sorry, that didn't fix it.
    Strange, it shows up on my list. Just make sure you haven't another projection with the same number though.

Anyway, I guess jslaytons suggestion is probably easier anyway.