hmm. converting all those small maps into a hemisphere, new direction

2»

Comments

• JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited March 2012
    A closer look at the local Fondfield area.
    edited May 2012
    My early mapping 'just starting to learn' in CC2. I'll undoubtedly redo it in CC3.

( May 20, 23012: deleted map so page will load faster. It is on my web site.)
  • 13 days later
    edited April 2012
    This is a closer map of the Fondfield area. I think the map scale block needs to be replaced. The map is 66 miles wide by 50 miles high. Oh, Sraa Keep is a ruin.
  • 7 days later
    edited May 2012
    Did a small amount of editing. Added another pond with tower. Put some trebuchets and ballistas here and there, added a few buildings. Oh, zoomed the map size up to 3200 by 4000 feet. Makes all of the buildings larger. Now I have the correct png. Good grief.

( May 20, 23012: deleted map so page will load faster. )
  • 23 days later
    edited May 2012
    I've decided to redo Fondfield, and without effects. Sorry.

Using roads and paths from ogl_ss2. The 3 black rectangles are log buildings. I'll likely take them out as the details at this scale aren't visible.

The large orange build is the Inn, and the gray-slate building to its left are the stables. I'll have to eventually redraw the Inn interior to match the new shape.
  • I definely prefer the new version of Fondfield. The keep on the left corner looks a little out of scale for me. Or it is meant to be a watch tower?
  • Map in CC3 says 50 feet by 50 feet. It is the personal keep of one of the local military commanders.
    edited May 2012
    Here is an update. I added some text that will replaced with numbers in the final map. I'm not quite sure on how to handle the stuff I'm leaving out as my players have already encountered some of the areas in town in various adventures.

So... I may make it larger. it is already double the original size. It was 500x400 feet. This map is 1000x800 feet.

Oh, if this is loading too slow, I can remove some of the earlier items and put them on my web site.

( May 20, 23012: deleted map so page will load faster. )
  • Urf, the small houses are 10 feet by 10 feet. I'll very likley re-do them so they are larger, move the foot paths, etc..
    edited May 2012
    Added more buildings, took out the 10' by 10' buildings. The two large buildings are mansions for two of the area military commanders. The commanders are hirelings of the king. The square towers with stairs on one side are extra defensive towers. The Druid, and the other religious area, have hedges added.

The religious ( 11 on the map ) area lower right: red round is the temple. The two square buildnigs are guards.

The small gray buildings are for storage, some have paid lockers for adventurers to use.

( typos edited)
  • I m liking of the layout of the buildings! I specially loved the castle area.
  • Thanks.

This time I tried to put all of the darker shading sides of the roofs in one direction. Adding the stone step symbols to the houses that didn't have them was interesting.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: JimPThis time I tried to put all of the darker shading sides of the roofs in one direction.
    If you use CD3 buildings, this happens automatically (Both vector and raster symbols). You can even change the direction of all buildings at once simply by changing the sun position (This also causes the shadows to move to the proper heading)
  • jaerdaphjaerdaph Traveler
    Wow, you've been busy JimP! Looking good.
  • Thanks. This stuff is starting to invade my dreams. I may wait a day or two before trying again.

I'm not sure how many, nor how long it would take, early maps I did eyars ago need to be redone. But this part of my game world is probably a good location to start.

Besides my ASUS TF300T with 32 gigs of storage is in, I need to charge it for 8 hours. Then I'm going to see how well MapTools works on it.
  • Posted By: Monsen
    Posted By: JimPThis time I tried to put all of the darker shading sides of the roofs in one direction.
    If you use CD3 buildings, this happens automatically (Both vector and raster symbols). You can even change the direction of all buildings at once simply by changing the sun position (This also causes the shadows to move to the proper heading)
    How do I do that ?
  • pdjpdj Traveler
    you right click Sheets & Effects and twiddle the settings under Global Sun

p
  • Oh, on the left... I had looked on the sheets dialog.
    edited May 2012
    A map to leave you with. I may not be back here until after Monday. This similar to the original, but I took 2 redoubts out, and rearranged the buildings from the original. S10 thru S12 not labelled as not enough room. The town walls cover an area twice the size as the original. This one is drawn using a 1000x800 feet template. Almost forgot the 'Sauros Rocks' areas in places around the moat. Square areas...

1) road to Quasqueton
    2) road to Sraa Keep, over grown
    3) road loads to the coast, eventually to Dwarf Home area by boat
    4) North Gate ( leads to farmland)
    5) Green Goose Inn and Stables
    6) Falla Keep, 50' across tower lower left
    7) Druids
    8 ) open air market
    9) military training area
    10) military or militia building, quarters, training, etc.
    11) The Questors ( Brown buildings are guards, red building is temple,
    gray building is the clerics' home.)
    12) redoubt
    13) storage buildings
    14) West Gate
    15) district commander's Keep
    16) Barbican/Dimensional Gate (off this map)

D1 thru D3: 2 story duplxes, 1 family per floor

G1 and G2: Heavy Infantry guards

M1 and M2: Merchant family homes

Q1 thru Q3: acolytes of The Questors

S1 through S18 shops, sage

T1 and T2: military trainer quarters

South is at the top of the map so I could give a 'different land' feel to it as my players in 1981 kept thinking of it as a parallel Earth, which Crestar isn't.