Upcoming Tutorials Help Need & Question For Bill

I've got about 50% or 2 of the 4 sections of my first tutorial done on integrating 3D software with ProFantasy Products. (I might added in a additional section on doing 3D that uses red & blue glasses as that does fit into the topic of alpha channels. The 2nd one is 10% done at the moment as I was switching between the two when working as the share some similar images and I have a rough sort of outlined what I need to cover down the road..

I could use some volunteers to look at my rough version which I plan to finished if I'm lucky this week, give some feedback, etc. I'm using Microsoft Word, so formatting help and other editing advice is appreciated.

If anyone is interested please send me an email at:

Jay_NOLA_M@yahoo.com

If I get too many people volunteering to help I'll end up just posting the beta version of the tutorial to the forum instead or limit the number of volunteers, but I'd like to have about 2 or 3 people look over it before I post it.

My question for Bill is I'd like to use some screenshots of the Bryce Outpost images you posted to the forum when as they can help illustrate some stuff in my tutorial. I'd like to use your model for a few of the things I'm working on.

Thanks.
Jay

Comments

• edited February 2012
    Jay-
    My friend you most definitely have my permission to use that Outpost model and the images - you needn't ask, - not only that - but if I can find the time (I'm kinda swamped right now) - I will help you out with anything else pertaining to your project if I can. I would also recommend using Open Office as opposed to Microsoft word - as it is a little easier to use probably (my preferred document app), and I know my way around it a lot better, so I could answer almost any questions that you might have about it (except for the spreadsheet function - I never had any call to use that part of it - so I never learned it, lol). As far as I know you can do a lot more with Open Office than Word anyway.

http://www.openoffice.org/

You can create nearly any kind of publication that you can imagine with Open Office - you can do it professionally (pro - qaulity) to - and it doesn't cost a dime.
    Make sure that you also download the .PDF Import / export extension. I can't say enough good things about Open Office. If I had Word - I would probably delete it - or never use it - in preference to Open Office anyway, lol :)
  • I prefer Word.

As Word has been around for quite a bit more time and has had many more versions. I suspect its number of features is a great deal more. I do not use the vast majority of the features. I find it easy to use.

Now Open Office’s Word equivalent is a good product and is free. So I am not slamming it.
  • edited February 2012
    Actually Torg I've never used Word myself - so maybe I'm speaking out of turn - but assuming that it's like so many other Microsoft products that I HAVE used - I'm guessing that I probably wouldn't like it. But - then again - that's just my personal taste - so there's no accounting for it, lol :) The only reason that I'm using Windows to begin with is that #1, it was the default system that my puter came bundled with and #2, a majority of the best apps out there was written for it (at least the apps I like - and am accustomed to using).

It's a pity that so few drivers have been made for Linux, and that adapting Linux to run Windows programming is a pain and a half - otherwise I'd switch.

I'm a bitter VISTA user - so naturally - you'll understand my position on this, lol.
  • Thanks Bill. Currently I've managed to get 60% of the rough for the 2nd Tutorial done last night and I'm going to try and and knock out finishing the 1st Tutorial tonight or tomorrow. I sort of suspect I'll have the second part finished before the first part is.

I've had Open office for some time. I'm more used to Word and will use it for my rough draft, but I'm suspecting much of what I want to do will be easier in Open Office.
    I do prefer working with spread sheets in Open Office& that is my primary software of choice over Excel.
  • In 2008 when I was looking for work, a number of places wanted resumes in many Word formats. I was able to do that in Open Office, not Word.

I use it for all my docs and spreadsheets for my campaign, but use whatever you prefer.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited February 2012
    Enough of this MS Office vs. OpenOffice discussion. It is not appropriate for this forum.

Some editing advice, like Jay_NOLA asked for is OK, especially since that might be of interest to anyone writing tutorials, but most general advice should work just as well no matter exactly which word processor he uses, as they all share the same basic feature set, if not the exact same menu layout.
  • I'm sorry Monsen - I was just trying to convey the fact that - should he need additional "editing" advice, I am more familiar with Open Office than word - and I gave an explanation as to why.
    My apologies sir...