CC3 - Template, Landmass and Texture

Hello Hive Mind,

I have doing a map in CC3 using a certain template and a texture. Now I have very nice and detailed ladmasses (a lot of detail put in the fractal of the costs) but I want to "paste" it on another template (diferent number from original) and want a diferent texture to my land masses cause I really loved the CA60A - Climate Textures and the brand new CA62 - Overland Satellite Maps. So there is someway to do it?

Thanls in advance,

Mateus

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You can copy/past entities between maps simply by using clipboard copy (ctrl+c and ctrl+v, or use commands from the Edit menu). Simply copy the land masses into a new map utilizing the new fill styles, then use change properties on the landmasses to change the fill style to one of the fill styles in the new template.
  • Mateus090985Mateus090985 Traveler
    edited February 2012
    I have tryed the ctrl+c / ctrl+v thing but no luck. There is somewhere in the manual that shows how to do it? Its my first map that I do seriously.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    What's going wrong with the clipboard copy for you?

- Open both old and new map at the same time (CC3 can run in multiple instances).
    - Do Ctrl-c in the old map, select your landmas, right-click, Do It. Select 0,0 as the point of origin.
    - Switch to the new map and hit Ctrl-v. Type in 0,0 for the point of insertion, right-click to finish.

You now have the landmass in the new map, but it doesn't look right yet, because it's in the old style.

- Right-click the Change Properties button and select "Change like Drawing tool".
    - Right-click and choose the "Land, Default" drawing tool in the list that comes up.
    - Select your landmass again, right-click, Do it.

That's it. Your landmass should now be in the new style.
  • I will give a try now and will report how it goes.
  • Just one more question before trying it. I also want to copy what I have put in the lakes sheet and in a "land inland" sheet (the last one was my way to put islands in lakes). and I want this to be in the same place. I dont care with all the rest (mountaains, hills, legends, city symbols...)
    When you copy multiple items at once, they keep their positions relative to each other, so that is not a problem. Do be aware that if the items where on sheets that did not exist in the new map, the sheets will be created, but they will all be at the bottom of the sheet order, so you need to rearrange them to have everything ordered properly.
  • I finally could do the first part. But now I am having issues doing the second (changing styles).

Fisrt I hided everything in the map except for my land mass. Then I went to Edit then Change Propriets. Then selected all my land mass and "do it". But now I dont know what to do in the box that opened...
    In the change properties box, there is a selector for "Fill Style". Simply set the desired fill style from the list.

Note that it is even easier if you follow the instructions Ralf provided, i.e. Right Clicking change properties and select "Change Like Drawing Tool". This will bring up a list of all the drawing tools for you to select from instead of the change properties box. It is easier to see visually what you are changing into this way, and you don't need to think about the outlines, since the drawing tool handles both at once.
  • Ok. Thanks a lot for the pacience. Now I can do it =). Its very simple indedd, but not very intuitive IMO.

Thank you.
    That is true, not everything in CC3 is the most intuitive. However, as I see it, this is often a balance between making the feature intuitive, and making it quick and easy to use for the more experienced users. A wizard for example, is very intuitive for new users, but often an annoyance once you know exactly what you wish to do. (Of course, you can always have both ways, but that eats up development time and is usually more bug-prone)