A couple questions before I buy.

Hey everyone. I messed around with this software of a friend's comp a good while back and I finally have the money that I may be able to purchase it. I'm trying to decide what all I need for my purposes vs what I can really afford.

I already have some sketches and such of the world I am trying to create. Can I put general continent shapes into FT3 and have it build around that? If not that's certainly not one I need.

The source maps. Do I understand correctly that these are basically already existing maps? If so I really don't need them either.

Finally perspectives Pro. It looks pretty cool but my one question is this: Is it easy to use? Like very easy? I hope to use it for most places my players visit once my world is finished being crafted, but not if it takes forever to map out the town with it.

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    edited January 2012
    Hi there,

1. You can generally put in outlines into FT3 (see here) and work from there manually, but you'll lose the automatic generation part of FT3.

2. Yes, those are pre-drawn maps. They are great in a hurry and can be a great starting point for modification in CC3, btu if you only want to draw you own stuff, they are not necessary.

3. Drawing with Perspectives takes some getting used to, as it is a bit different to what you do with the standard 2d drawings, but once you have it down, it's not difficult to create a town or village. Big cities take quite long to do with Perspectives, but they do that in any type of map. For an easier alternative, take a look at the John Speed City style in the Annual vol. 1.
  • Wonderful, thank you. I only did random generation when I messed around with FT3 so perhaps I don't understand. Are there many advantages to using the program when there is no random generation effects?