My FIrst Map

Well, while I still cannot get CC3 working on my Windows 7 laptop (hope I can get that fixed soon), I did actually manage to get it working on my Linux machine. Here is my first map, please let me know what you all think. I used DD3 to make this, after watching almost all of the tutorials posted. I still have a few questions though. How can I make the corners of the walls connect better? (see the bottom right wall) Also, I tried to use a blur and and glow on the road, but couldn't make it work right. How can I make it blend it softly with the grass around it and not leave any sharp corners.

(I cannot seem to post the picture, I think its too big. You can see my post here, which includes the map: http://bearmeadows.com/?p=348)

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Hi there! That's a really nice little inn you've created there, thanks for sharing.

You do mean the bottom right corner of the outside wall, right? Hide everything but the WALLS layer, then use Combine Paths (right-click the Explode icon) on the two paths converging on that corner. This will make them into one entity and clean up the corner.

For the road, make sure that it is on its own separate sheet, then use an Inner Edge Fade on that sheet to smooth it into its surroundings.

You mention in your blog entry that you're using Dungeon Designer 3. The style you've used is not from DD3 though, it's the free Annual issue from last year (Jon Roberts' Dungeon). As such it has a lot less different symbols included than a DD3 style. Start a new map based on a DD3 template and check out the symbol catalogs to see the wide variety of symbols available.

You also say that you've submitted a tech support request. I was away since Friday, but have just answered a bunch of support requests. If yours wasn't among those, your mail or my answer must have gone lost (perhaps tagged as spam somewhere). Please resend it to help(a)profantasy.com.
  • ClerconClercon Betatester Traveler
    A very nice first map.

About your Windows 7 problems, I'm running CC3, DD3 and CD3 on my Windows 7 64-bit system without problems. The most important thing is to not install it under program files (x86). This default folder has a too tight security for a lot of "older" programs. What you do is that you create a new folder under c:\ called "installations" or something else you think fits. Then install the program under that folder. It worked for me.

Good luck, and by the way CD3 is absolutely worth the money if you want to make cities :)
  • Hello Ralf, thank you!

Yes I did mean that that about the wall. Thank you, I will try that and lunch time. I figured there was a command for that but could not find it.

I will make the changes to the road like you suggest. I kept trying to add a outer edge glow and it was not looking right, I didn't even think about trying an inner one, thank you for your help!

You are correct sir! I realized I was not looking at all the symbols available. My apologies, but I am still learning the software. Please see the edits I’ve made to my post. I am really enjoying the software and all it is able to do.

Yes! I did recieve a response from you this morning, thank you very much. Please understand I did not mean anything by the fact that I had not recieved a response yet, I did not expect one over the weekend. I was just letting the community know that I have it working on my Linux machine and not my Windows 7 one in case they thought I had solved the problem I was having.

Thank you for a great piece of software sir!

Clercon - I will definately try it agian using a different folder and let you know if that works.
  • Very nice work crazybear!
  • Thank you Ralf! I got it working on my Win 7 laptop!