fcw32.exe has stopped working when trying to save large pixel sizes

So is there a maximum support pixel size when using cc3?

I've got a map that i'm trying to save an image size of 33" x 51" x 300dpi which comes out to 9900px x 15300px.
Whenever I try to save it, it gets to "Rendering image. Pass 1/39. Please wait..." then crashes.

any ideas on why it's crashing?

I'd actually like to output it at 1200-2400dpi (for printing on vellum) but if I can't save it, it's kind've moot.

The other option, which I'm not sure how to do, would be to pre-slice the map into section, and just save those sections, ie. in a 9x9 split of the map, save the top left at 3300px x 5100px, etc..

Comments

• Yeah, CC3 freaks out with dimensions that large for me too. I'm assuming this is for a printed poster map - and an oversize one at that too. Possible solutions: Do you really need 300 dpi or can you get away with 150 dpi or less? Also, export to PNG and avoid JPG (which is lossy) and BMP, which isn't indexed and creates much, much larger image files. Or you could try dividing the map in halfs or quarters, and use File -> Save As then in the "save as file type:" pull down menu select "Rectangular Section PNG" which will allow you to select a rectangular area of the map to save that you specify, either by mouse selection or exact coordinates you can enter in at the command prompt in the lower left. Be sure to reset your image options to the correct height and width dimensions to get the resolution/dpi you need and the print section size you need for the rectangle area - in this case it will be a smaller portion of the 33x51 inches, obviously. Hope that helps or someone else has a better solution for you.
  • I've certainly had CC3 crash and lockup on me when exporting large images. However, I've learned that "Not Responding" isn't always fatal. When I get that message I go make a cup of tea or something. Sometimes it will complete what it was doing and start responding again. I've had it appear dead for over ten minutes and then complete properly.
  • Yeah, sometimes you just got to walk away for a bit and come back and see what happens.
  • edited January 2012
    I'm just wondering if there would be any way to use a smaller dpi than 300, but then "scale it up" somehow in a 3rd party graphics app for getting it back to "being close" to 300 dpi qaulity wise?
    Somehow use a trick of some kind to give the illusion of something that comes very close to 300.
  • thanks for the suggestions. And yes, this will be printed out on a high quality printer on vellum.

The saving in rectangular sections seems to work okay, I can always use Photoshop afterwards to join the sections together.

As far as the coordinates, Is there a way to get the exact width & height of my map in coordinate form? Moving with the mouse will give coordinates in decimal form up top, but I'm OCD and would rather get exact coordinates when I'm sectioning it off to save in parts.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    To get the exact size of your map, use the Coordinate command from the Info menu. Use it together with the endpoint modifier to find the coordinate of the top right of your map border.
  • Keep in mind that if your map has a border, the 0,0 XY origin might not be in the lower left corner but inside the border area where the actual map is. Info -> Length is another good tool to find out your map's exact height and width for purposes of calculating image settings as well as figuring out Cartesian coordinates. Personally, I always use File -> Save As and in the "save as file type:" pull down menu I always select "Rectangular Section PNG" even if I want the entire map then select the starting point and ending point coordinates manually with the mouse after I turn on a the grid (that is set to an appropriate units) if I don't want to think about typing in the exact coordinates. The best thing about CC3 is there are multiple ways to get the same job done, and this might be helpful to someone uncomfortable with the Cartesian coordinate system, or just plain lazy like I am! :)