Making Map Background Fill Styles

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to make a map with a sky backdrop and was wondering how to make my own Fill Style that would consist of blue sky and clouds.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    First, you need to make your sky/cloud image tileable. A tileable image is an image where the left and right sides join seamlessly when you place multiple copies of the image next to each other. Same goes for the top/bottom sides. There are many good tutorials on the net on how to do this, depending on the graphics software you use. You may even find ready-made ones on the weeb. I found a lot by searching Google for clouds tilable.

When you have the image, place it in an appropriate folder. Remember that all maps that uses this fill needs to have the fill file available to them to display properly, so make sure you place it somewhere you are not likely to move it later during a reorganization. A sub folder inside Bitmaps\Tiles in your CC3 installation folder is a good location.

Then, inside of CC3, select Tools -> Import Bitmap fill styles, and point it to the folder you stored the image. Make sure to check the option for "create other resolutions".

Now, your bitmap is available as a fill style inside CC3, and can be selected by clicking on the Fill style indicator, and going to the Bitmap files tab. From there, you can change the scaling if you need to.