Learning through questions...

Hi all,

I just purchased CC3, Cosmographer3 and FT today for some work I'm doing building a sandbox Sci-fi environment. I'm liking what I see so far, but (not surprisingly) am feeling a little overwhelmed. One of the first things I would like to do is get my "sector" down on paper. I know, it's hard to believe, but I'm not playing Traveller, and would like to use a different scale on my sector maps. Is there a way to create a template that enables a 20x20 hex map rather than the sector map? Also, even if that's not readily doable, I was wondering if someone could help explain why when I select the Cosmo template and try to define my own settings with the sector map, I end up with the deck plan "template" every time? I don't think I'm smoking crack, but you never know, I suppose.

Thanks in advance,
-V

Comments

• I haven't used Cosmographer, but my recommendation as someone who has only been using the software for a few months is to read the big manual (not the "Essentials" version) for CC3, and do every tutorial step-by-step. It will probably take you a couple of weeks, but you'll gain a lot of insight. I tried using the software briefly (for like a week) a few years ago, and gave up because I was overwhelmed, and I think a big part of it is that I tried to breeze through the Essentials book as quickly as possible. Also, the Annuals are just as helpful as the tutorials, although you only want to do them after you've tried the tutorials.
  • Yes, I had the same problem. But after I did a number of tutorials, I got better at map making.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Posted By: veilheimAlso, even if that's not readily doable, I was wondering if someone could help explain why when I select the Cosmo template and try to define my own settings with the sector map, I end up with the deck plan "template" every time? I don't think I'm smoking crack, but you never know, I suppose.
    This sounds weird. Would you mind giving me a step-by-step overview of what you do, so I can see whether anything is going wrong in the process?
  • Hi Ralf,

Of course. Thankfully, by asking me, I figured out what I was doing wrong. In most applications, there's really only one setup screen... so I didn't notice the next versus finished. When you click finish after the first screen, it creates that result. Therefore, don't do that. ;)

Brennan