copying map

The copy feature doesn't seem to work in the drag down menu. Or maybe I'm just not clear how to highlight my map for copying. I'd like to be able to copy maps and map templates into new maps within the program and also to be able to copy and past my maps into word programs (for stories or novels I write than have maps associated with them).

It seems that whenever I select the map and have it highlighted, clicking on anything else on the interface unselects it, so when I tell it to copy, it's not copying anything.

How do I do this?

Comments

• You need to *right* click on the Copy icon button on the left side toolbar and select Copy to Clipboard from the drop down menu that appears. Alternately, you can type the command CLIPCOPY in the command line prompt in the bottom left. That will let you copy anything you select in your current map to another CC3 map you open afterwards. The default CC3 Copy command only copies entities for use within that map.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    "Ctrl-c" is another option to start the Copy to Clipboard command, then select the entities you want to copy, right-click, Do It. Then do Ctrl-v to paste the selected entities into another map.

Note though that you can't copy and paste CC3 entities into other programs like word or image editing software - they don't understand the FastCAD vector format. To use your maps in a word document (or similar), save them (or sections of them) as a bitmap and use use these in Word, etc.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited January 2012
    Posted By: RalfNote though that you can't copy and paste CC3 entities into other programs like word or image editing software - they don't understand the FastCAD vector format. To use your maps in a word document (or similar), save them (or sections of them) as a bitmap and use use these in Word, etc.
    Please don't tell this to my copy of CC3, I rather like the ability to paste CC3 entities directly into word.

When you have CC3 vector entites on the clipboard, and try to paste into word, they are automatically converted to bitmap entities, without manually having to save the map as a bitmap manually first. This is one of the great things about the windows clipboard actually, it is multi-format, and capable of automatically pasting the correct format.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Ooops! Sorry for the misinformation, I was actually not aware this does work. See.... even I keep learning new things on this forum.

Thanks for the correction, Remy.
  • That is pretty cool. I'm going to have to test that in in OpenOffice today...
    edited January 2012
    Just note that it can't copy effects (to include those, you still need to export your map to an image, and copy from that, or use Print Screen to get a screenshot of the entire screen on the clipboard, including map with effects), and that the resolution for the clipboard copy is controlled by the settings found at Tools --> Options --> Bmp, Jpg, Png. You'll want to make sure this is a sensible value.
  • 29 days later
  • edited February 2012
    I found the copy command and the drop down menu, but I'm not sure how to highlight the map or part of the map I want to copy. What happens is:

I highlight map by dragging around it (and it gets grayed out)
    I go to the copy menu or try hitting ctrl C or whatever.
    The map unselects when I rt click on the copy menu or hit ctrl c.
    When I try to paste it somewhere, it doesn't paste. But I've been trying to paste it into a word file as a test.
    What is getting pasted is the last thing I copied in word. Clearly, I'm not successfully selecting my map to copy to my clipboard.

The only thing interesting I can get to happen with the copy menu is if I select quick copy. Then the program spends a minute or so randomly copying my map to different unuses locations on its own background. While it's doing that, I can't select anything on the menu. No idea why I'd want to do that.

I guess I'm dim about this, but I need a very thorough step by step on what I actually have to physically do to my map to select it, copy it and paste it somewhere.

What I want to do is to be able to paste it to a word, irfanview or paint file.
    edited February 2012
    The copy command works just as any other CC3 command, so you need to select copy BEFORE selecting anything. Here are the exact steps:
    1. Select Copy from the edit menu.
    2. Select the entities to copy, either by dragging a window around them, or clicking on the edge of the individual entities you want
    3. Right Click inside the map and select Do It
    4. The command line now asks for origin of copy. If you are going to copy to an image editor or word processor, the exact spot doesn't matter, so click anywhere inside the map. If you are going to copy to another CC3 instance, this may be more important, depending if you are needing to place it in an exact spot or not. If so, either click on the appropriate spot in the map, or type in the coordinates (for example 0,0) into the command line, then hit enter.

Once you have followed all four steps above, the entities are copied to the clipboard, ready to past into another application.
  • Thanks Monsen.

That seems to work. The step I was leaving out was the 'do it' part.

I'm not getting a command line asking for the origin of the copy

It seems to only be copying part of the filled in area to the clipboard, but I guess I'll have to play around with it more.