City Map for a Supers RPG Campaign

Here's a city overview map I made for my ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying
Game
campaign setting, Grimm City. I used the Modern
Road Map templates from the 2011 Cartographer's Annual Volume 5
for CC3.
Eventually I hope to expand this into a fully-developed street level map. And
If you are interested in this sort of thing or enjoy supers RPGs, I'll be developing
Grimm City as a campaign setting for ICONS on my blog, JUST
ADD HEROES

Comments

• jaerdaphjaerdaph Traveler
    edited January 2012
    A larger (4800x3600) poster size version of the Grimm City Overview Map can be found here.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
  • Thanks Ralf! I've become a master at using Trace now with this map. The highly fractalized coast required a steady hand and Zen-like patience to trace, even small sections. If anyone's interested, tonight I posted some details about what's what on the Grimm City overview map on my blog: Just Add Heroes: A Brief Tour of Grimm City
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Yeah, fractalized entities with many nodes can take quite a while to trace (nudge mouse, wait, nudge mouse, wait, ....). Moving the mouse pointer in the general location of the endpoint first does help.
  • It's actually a feature, not a bug, at least if you are really in to multitasking. True story, I kid you not - I was able to bake a batch of chocolate chip cookies and throw in a load of laundry while I waited for CC3 to catch up to my mouse! :D
  • Hmmm, you can trace segments? How do you do that, I've only been able to trace whole entities...
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited January 2012
    That is quite simple actually.
    1. Use any drawing tool that supports the trace command (most of them), but some tools are set up to use shapes that cannot trace.
    2. Place your first point somewhat close to where you wish to start tracing (Doesn't have to be, but it is natural)
    3. Hit T to start tracing. Select the entity to trace by clicking on a place on the outline that is to be included in the trace.
    4. Now CC3 asks for the starting point of the portion. Click on the entity where you wish to start tracing
    5. Move the mouse to the point on the entity where you wish tracing to stop, and click there. Note that the trace will always go through the point where you clicked to select the entity, so if the trace goes the "wrong way around". it is because you used the wrong spot to select the entity.
  • 10 days later
  • Now that the overview map is done, I've been working on the detailed street
    level map of Grimm City. I've completed the city grid and next up will be the
    less "planned" streets in the older areas of the city that had their
    paths determined by the local geography and necessity, mostly along the river's
    edge and coastline. And I haven't touched the areas north of the Triton River
    yet.

And here's a close up to see the detail:

I've started to think about the city's naming pattern for streets as well, at least as far as the grid portion is concerned. Eventually when this is further along or complete, I'll share another link to a "poster size" version like I did with the city overview map above.
  • 1 year later
  • I actually saw this post and I think I'll try build a modern city as well. Great inspiration man. Looks awesome.
  • DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Looks great! Or, should I say, it looks... super! image

Cheers,
    ~Dogtag
  • SkidAceSkidAce Traveler
    Based on Hampton/Norfolk Va?