Memory Setting for CC3

There's an option to optimize the memory setting in CC3, but it doesn't seem very intuitive. I have 12GB of RAM; how can I make sure CC3 is taking advantage of this? I know there is a chance that it can't take advantage of this much memory, because it is overkill for some (actually, most) software, but I figure if anything can stress it, it's going to be the rendering of multiple sheets as you zoom around to different areas of the map.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    As CC3 is a 32-bit program, it can't take advantage of more than 2GB of ram. Obviously with that much ram in your computer, you are pretty much ensured that you have 2GB free for use with CC3 though.

As for CC3 memory usage, just leave the bitmap cache setting at it's default -1 value. That basically tells CC3 to not put any usage ont he memory used for bitmaps. You only need to set this setting if you actually want to limit CC3's memory use.
  • I was wondering why a computer with such high stats was still dragging when zooming in/out while the effects are on. It would be VERY cool if they offered a 64-bit version.
  • http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556

some 32 bit programs can be tweaked to allow up to 4gb of ram. the program linked to in that thread will do it for you. I have tried it with FT3, and it seems to allow me to find rivers on a MUCH more detailed setting than before i tried it... maybe it will help with cc3 as well.

remember to BACK UP your cc3 exe BEFORE you try this, as it may hork your exe file.

enjoy.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    The next update for FT3 has /LARGEADDRESSAWARE set, giving it access to the full 4GB of memory, but ONLY on 64-bit versions of Windows.
    I checked the log and this change made it into the 3.0.12 release, so there's no need to wait.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: jslaytonbut ONLY on 64-bit versions of Windows.
    You should be able to get access to 3GB of memory on 32-bit machines with this switch set however (as opposed to the normal 2GB), but only if the OS has the /3GB boot switch is set
    But the /3GB switch does awful things to video performance if you have a reasonable video card.
  • My Windows Vista Home Premium computer has 3 gigs installed and the computer uses it... I haven't had to use any switching, software, hardware, or bios.

I know the Win 7 computers we have at work will state under computer properties 4 gigs installed. 3.x gigs usable. The 3.x varies from 3.1 to 3.6 gigs. I presume that is the motherboard, etc. All are 32-bit systems.
    I really recommend looking at the link that Monsen posted if you're considering the /3GB switch on a 32-bit Windows version.

As an example, my current system has 8GB of RAM and a 1GB video card. My Windows XP boot gives me 2.6GB free because the OS can only address 4GB, the video card eats 1GB of that, and drivers + system resources eats 0.4GB. However, that information has no bearing on the amount of memory space that a single process can address. Versions of FT prior to 3.0.12 can address 2GB, regardless of whether the /3GB switch is set or not. Modding the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag as wade suggested will still let FT access only the 2GB on a 32-bit OS unless that OS has also had the /3GB switch set. Then and only then can FT access 3GB on a 32-bit OS. However, putting in that /3GB switch for the OS will pretty much cripple the use of that instance of the desktop as far as being a good desktop OS goes.

On a 64-bit OS, though, things are different. The same system described above has 8.0GB of memory free for processes. Each 64-bit process has 8TB (that's TB, not GB) of virtual address space. But 32-bit processes still can only access 2GB of memory. FT 3.0.12 and later (or versions modded as wade suggests) have the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag that allows them to access more than 2GB. because they are 32-bit programs, they can go all the way up to 4GB on a 64-bit OS.

In short, if you want to ease FT's memory congestion a bit, your best bet is to run it under a 64-bit OS and to get the 3.0.12 update. FT is still limited to a maximum of 4GB even under those conditions, though.
  • I'm on a 64-bit system... I'd love to see a genuine 64-bit program.
  • Would gladly pay extra for 64-bit versions of the entire suite.