Crashes and Misbehavior

CC has been fighting me a lot lately. Example: I use trim to intersect a lot. Trim to intersect will delete the wrong side of the second selected line so I have to watch it carefully to make sure it works. When it doesn't I hit undo, then SOMETIMES I can intentionally click the wrong side of the line that's misbehaving and sure enough, the behavior will again delete the "wrong" side of the line but having intentionally reversed my choice I will be able to proceed. Sometimes that doesn't work and I then have to use trim to entity or just Trim with an intersect or endpoint snap.

I'm also getting a lot of crashes to desktop. When this happens I will generally find that the autosave file is corrupted and will not open, making me wonder if that at least is an autosave problem. I'm sometimes seeing layers disappear AS I'm working on a file. I'll be doing something and go to my layers menu only to find instead of my expected 20 or so layers I'm only being shown 2 with wierd names which weren't there before. At that point there's nothing to do but go back to the autosave (if it's still uncorrupted) or an older manual save. Another way I've gotten CTD's is when trying to open a file from the menu. The selection window will open I find my desired file, select it, and then I'm looking at my desktop. I was wondering if that crash had to do with the thumbnail display of the file contents but then it started to crash only when I clicked the "Open" button after selecting and then I won't be able to open that file again by clicking. I've discovered I can get around THAT by starting CC again, going to the open file window and instead of clicking, manually entering the file name. All then seems to be well and I can proceed normally.

These behaviors have persisted even after deleting, reinastalling, and updating CC3. Next time I get a wierd file with vanished layers or that won't open normally I'll make sure to keep a copy for analysis but this is getting frustrating. The first time this happened several weeks ago I lost quite a few hours of work and had to go back to backups of a file I'd made several years ago to salvage anything, but I've lost hours worth of work on a number of other files with all this and I'm getting so I can't trust CC at all performing simple tasks and that's a bad thing.

Comments

• I have found no solution to the constant crashes. Yeah, it's frustrating, but the only way I've been able to deal with it is, every time I change something, I click save. About every 5 to 10 minutes of work gets saved to a backup file, or whenever I do something significantly complicated. It annoys me all to hell that I have to crash and restart and reload alot, but it's better than losing hours of work. Like several designers on this board, I save my backups in stages, so that if necessary, I can go back to a previous incarnation if things go really wrong. Using this method I've been able to make steady progress without losing much time.

I've noticed that crashes occur alot when 1) you do alot of undos, 2) you change your mind on the function you want to use and switch to a new one in mid-usage, and 3) you click the mouse button too fast. I've also had issues with zooming and crashing, so I tend to save anytime I need to zoom, move the map, or blow up the map. It appears, at least to me, that CC3 steps all over itself when multiple functions are being activated.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited December 2011
    I would suggest you contact ProFantasy Tech Support directly about these issues. I haven't seen any problems like that myself, so I cannot advice, but Tech Support may be able to help you.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    That is very weird behavior and sounds like a badly corrupted installation. Please use our tech support page to send in a report with your current OS, CC3 version number and so on.

Kendall, please do the same, that is definitely not standard behavior what you're experiencing.