Cartograhper-for-Hire

I am slowly developing a campaign setting for my next campaign. I expect to start the campaign in approximately a year, and while most of the tasks for creating this setting I am more than capable of performing, mapping is an exception.

I am the proud owner of the entire suite of Campaign Cartographer 3 tools. For whatever reason, I am unable to wrap my head around how Campaign Cartographer works. I've been trying for years and I am just no good at it. What I am looking for is a resource to work with me in creating the maps I need for this campaign setting.

I have tried the Cartographer's Guild and they have been less than welcoming due to the large size of my project, and the requirement of using the ProFantasy tools. I don't expect to be able to get this work done for free, and I would be willing to pay modest amounts per map over time to get the work done.

If anyone knows a Campaign Cartographer cartograhper-for-hire, or is willing to do the work themselves please let me know. I do have a Fractal Terrains 3 world to use as a starting point.

Comments

• Hi Kalex, welcome to the forums...

Kalex I am extremely well versed with Fractal Terrains - but I am just now learning CC3, as I am working on a symbol set for it - and I am in a "learn as you do / learn as you go" process.
    You are eventually going to find someone who will do the materials that you need done for your campaign developement - but just remember one thing. "Nobody will ever be able to express your creative vision quite the same way that you can!" Only you can know EXACTLY what you want.

Learning CC3 - if you've never used it before - is not the kind of thing that you can really do right in just one afternoon. The learning curve is actually a lot easier than a lot of terrain visualization and modelling programs out there, but if you want to create pro qaulity maps that are truly eye ball melting - then it will take some time - BUT IT IS DEFINITELY WORTH IT!
    There are a lot of areas that I'm stuck on myself - but I'm not discouraged, because I know that patience is definitely going to pay off, and if I stick to it - I'll be great at it.

Don't get intimidated with it - follow the .PDF manual - and practice. I promise you won't be sorry - and your going to save some coin in the process.
  • Well, I'm not for hire, but I'm currently mapping millions of square miles for my game world. Crestar

Just under 2 thousand maps. Took me a while to learn the software, but I can move right along these days.

The tutorials are the best way to learn.

And when you have questions, just ask.

Note that CC3 is based on a CAD program, and the selection process isn't the same sequence as a paint program like gimp or photoshop.
  • Hi Kalex,

Cartographer's Guild always looked a warm community to me, but well... that's a pity your project has not been welcomed.
    I am for sure not among the best cartographers using Profantasy's software (not even close... but I am good enough for what I usually need), but if you do not have an alternative I'll be happy to help even for free.

Just tell if you are interested in a collaboration.

Cheers,
    A.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone for your responses so far.

I have tried to teach myself the program, but for whatever reason it just eludes me. I can use programs like Photoshop, Illustrator, Fireworks and Publisher to great effect in my games, but I just can't seem to get CC3. I might try fooling around with the video tutorials, but that has always seemed a little too time consuming to me considering all the time I have already put into trying to learn this product.

I guess my thoughts about how a collaboration would work is that I could provide a zoomed in region from the FT3 file in CC3 format accompanied by a graphic file (probably PNG) of the same area with notes scribbled on it. What I would want the artist to do is convert the area to a specific map style and add forests, mountains, towns, ruins etc. and label them all. I'll see if I can put together an example of what I mean and upload it as an attachment.

For things like towns I would provide the artist with a text description of the town and the locations of the key buildings and let them design from there based on the location on the regional map.
  • Honestly man - CC3 pays HUGE dividends if you put in the upfront time to learn it. Watch the videos, learn the basics, get familiar with the CC3 way of doing business and you will not be sorry and you'll save yourself even more time in the long run.
  • Posted By: nlp138Honestly man - CC3 pays HUGE dividends if you put in the upfront time to learn it. Watch the videos, learn the basics, get familiar with the CC3 way of doing business and you will not be sorry and you'll save yourself even more time in the long run.
    I've already put years in to learning it since CC2 was in it's prime. I don't know why people can't understand that I just don't seem to be able to do it. I'm willing to give it another try, but I don't want my success or failure to have a huge impact on my campaign project, thus I am asking for help.
  • Hey, saw your post over at the Wizards website, and also answered there.

I totally understand that you're having problems with it; as someone who is just learning the software, it has a HUGE learning curve, but I think it's surmountable. My question is this: what methods have you used in teaching yourself? Did you open the program and try messing around with it? Did you read the manual but not do the examples? Or did you follow along with the manual and work through every example problem?

I honestly think the third method is the only way to get it to work.
  • edited December 2011
    Watching the videos and working through the tutorials should be the first step in learning the software. Without those tools, I can certainly see where it would be difficult to make any headway.

Hiring someone may be a valid option, but finding someone willing to take on the task may be difficult (especially during the holidays).

In the interim, if you're willing to give it another go, I'd strongly suggest those videos and tutorials. Next, you might try to locate cc3 maps (here and at cartographer's guild) that you like and determine exactly what it is that you like about them. Focus on small steps, duplicating small aspects of those maps. When you find something you can't replicate, the forums here are good for a quick answer. Another resource is the artist who created the map. I find that most people love to talk about what they've done and are usually more than happy to share that expertise with others.

The most helpful thing I found to help me while learning cc3, is to focus on small steps and to stop when I get frustrated and try again when I'm fresh. That and save frequently. :)

I haven't looked at the profantasy annuals but from what I hear they are extremely useful with various tips and additional styles.

Good luck. I hope you can find someone to work with, but don't give up on learning the software. You're at least going to want to be able to make modifications to your maps down the road.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Hey, Kalex, that map looks like a pretty good starting point. What is it you need doing?
  • edited December 2011
    Posted By: Simon RogersHey, Kalex, that map looks like a pretty good starting point. What is it you need doing?
    Hey Simon,

What I need to do is convert the FT3 import into a map style. For instance I am a fan of the Jon Roberts Overland style. Mountains, forests, swamps, cities and ruins all need to be added along with name tags. I'm just not sure where to begin. I would like the process to be easily automated to a certain extent I guess. I can place objects and text, but I'm really not sure how to make the conversion work if it is even possible. Any help is appreciated.

-Alex
  • 12 days later
  • Anyone know if the conversion process I am looking for is even possible?