Drawing a hexagon with a hexagon grid overlay.

I'm sure I've seen how to do this posted in the forum in the past but I can't find it.

I'm trying to draw a hexagon with a hex grid overlay inside it. I need it to be tillable with others like it so I can print them out and lay them side by side and the hex grid overlay will line up correctly.

I've tried doing this with the overly tool but it's not lining up correctly.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited November 2011
    The trick is to make the inner hex grid 1/7th of the size of the main hexagon.
    For example, if you make two hex grids in CC3, the first using a size of 70, and the second a size of 10, you will see that they line up perfectly. Using this ratio, you should be able to turn the hexagons whichever way you wish, and the grid should line up perfectly in all instances.

Another ratio if you need a smaller grid is 1:13, 1:19, 1:25 and so on. Basically, any ratio of 1 : ((n * 7) - (n -1)) will work.
  • illuminatispyilluminatispy Traveler
    edited November 2011
    I've tried this and it's not working. :-(

The issue I'm having is the gird is lining up just off center enough to look wrong.
  • I was playing around with hex grids earlier and it worked just fine. I made two grids of different sizes and they lined up perfectly.

just now I made a new map and did the same thing and the grids were off just like you describe.

I was able to correct this by selecting points and typing in exact coords. The first grid was 10 wide and placed from 0,0 to 100,80. The second was 5 wide and I placed it at 0,1.44 to 100,81.44

It took some trial and error to find the right values to match them up but that fixed it.

Hope that helps.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    If you follow the aspect ratio formula I gave you, it should line up perfectly. When using those values, I cannot get it to not line up whatever I try (when filling the entire map with the grid. If you use "select points", you will need the exact same top left starting point)
    Note that those ratios are rather special. You cannot simply double the 1:7 ratio to 1:14 and have it work.The ratio between the small and the large grid must be 1:7, 1:13, 1:19 or any other ratio following the formula I gave.

The attached image uses a 1:7 ratio (width 20 for the small, 140 for the large hexes)
  • That helped a lot. Thank you!