SYMBOLS PROJECT UPDATE.

Well - I am hitting the drawing paper again (off and on while I unpack and get settled), and I am massaging my knuckles to fend off "pen sprain". Once again - back to work.

I have - in hopes of getting some expert direction and mentoring on this thing - submitted the drawings I have done thus far - about 855 of them - to Mr. Rogers for a qaulity evaluation, and hopefully a prescription on exactly how to best approach this project for maximum CC3 compatibility, qaulity, and just plain awsome coolness. I take this opportunity to thank Simon for taking time out his busy schedule to graciously evaluate and critique these - and I await the results via email with both confident enthuasm - and nervous trepidation at recieving a tough, but fair appraisal of my work (I hope my drawings don't suck canal water, lol). I am probably going to likely do well over a thousand of these, as I have decided to attempt to define a new "style", lol.

Needless to say - input from the community is critical - since you guys are far more experienced with actual gaming than I am, I need to know the answer to this question. Here's the question:

Other than the typical symbols that you guys use - based upon your gaming experience and / or your personal tastes - what other types of symbols would you like to see on your maps? This is more or less a brainstorming session. Just wondering.

Comments

• jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    I think that in honor of the upcoming holiday season that you ought to do a version of Treants9 that has lights, garland, and a star on top.
  • edited November 2011
    Excellent Mr. S!!! Will do (that sounds awsome! lol). Wow I actually never thought about that, lol. That would look epically sweet!
  • I'd like to see more symbols for Mines. If you look at the USGS maps they have a few different ones. Maybe some for Dwarven mines, Gem mines, etc.
  • edited November 2011
    Bohica - I've made Gem Mine icons for just about every precious stone that you can think of. I haven't made any that's racially specific though - which is a very interesting thing to ponder.Thank you for giving me something intrigueing to think about my friend.
  • T.A. - I'd love to see your Gem Mine Icons. Do you have ones for non-gem minerals, too? Iron, Gold, Copper, etc? What about for other natural resources?
  • edited November 2011
    I have gold, silver, lead, mercury,iron,tin,copper,clay,stone,coal, and even oil! lol.
  • I'd like to just say that these are awesome! You're selling these or making them available for free somewhere?
  • edited November 2011
    kolyana - I actually have not decided that yet, the project is still too fresh - and I have TONS of more symbols to do before I can call it complete. Shouldn't take too long though since I draw pretty quick and stuff.

On one hand I want to make them free, because I know what it's like to look diligently for free stuff that I can use in projects worry free - that are really any good at all - and it stinks!
    On the other hand - this IS a lot of work - and since the economy is in the crapper around here - a little pocket change would go a long way.

I'm torn 50/50 and riding the fence on it. If I make them free - somehow I'll find a way for folks to get to them ok around here - and if I charge money for them, then I'll make it a point to make them as inexpensive as possible. I actually place a higher premium on being remembered and recognized - actually ACCOMPLISHING something relevant - than on having a fat wallet, despite my current, rather pitiable tax bracket, lol - but a suppliment of some kind does sound appealing - especially lately (a reference to my personal finances that I will not expound upon here out of sheer embarrassment, lol).

All of that at this point is theoretical because I simply don't know yet.
  • edited November 2011
    Maybe a combination of both? At Torn World we recently release our entire world map free of charge on RPGNow to drive interest in our other works, which we charge a nominal fee for. Maybe create packs and offer them for free (create buzz, advertising, etc) and then charge for the others?

edit: and something to consider is the need for symbols in the virtual tabletop community ... it's somewhat of an emerging market and I have seen a need there for maps and symbols and you'd certainly be able to add it as a potential avenue of sales.

Not sure if this is legit discussion on a Profantasy forum :/ Out of ettiquette and respect for Ralf & Co. I'm going to halt here, but feel free to write to me anytime for my views and opinions (email website etc in my profile)
  • edited November 2011
    Well I would certainly read anything that gets slipped into the suggestion box at this point kolyana - because again - it's too early right now to make any kind of definitive decision. That's a little bit like deciding your child's major in college five minutes after it's born, lol. Either way - it's safe to say that I'll not be hoarding these images all to myself - they are GOING to get out there.
  • Hey, plenty of parents out there map their childs life before they're even born! lol

"Mah child is gonna be a concert pianist, chess grandmaster and star quarterback!"
  • TA,

Those look Great!

Another avenue is to have a [Donate] icon on your web page. Every little bit helps.
  • edited November 2011
    Thank you Bohica - that is a good idea, but I don't have a webpage yet, lol. I will get one eventually though - I thought about getting a facebook account but I've heard shady things about it, and I'm kinda spooked a little.
  • There is also http://www.cwahi.net/ free accounts, no popups, 21 pixel text banner. I have several sites there.
  • Thank you Jim, I'll take a look see my friend.
  • I don't have any experience with cwahi.net but I do remember when shessar was hosting her SMAC art collection there, they booted her as soon as bandwidth went up, even though that bandwidth was below the stated allowable levels. If you plan to use them, you might want to contact shessar first and get a first hand account of what actually transpired (as my memory is rarely to be trusted). Other than that, I have heard good things about them which is unusual for a free hosting site.

If you plan to sell your work from your site though (opposed to just hosting free downloads), I would strongly recommend media temple. They are one of a very few hosts that actually understand security protocols and have a wonderful support staff.
  • Again good advice - thank you Old Guy.
  • Wow! These are magnificent!
  • Just popping in to say that while cwahi.net is a fantastic free host, they do not permit you to use it for the sole purpose of file sharing. It's fine to have a few download links, but it is really meant for personal website use. Since the SMAC was just a fileshare site, I got booted. Hehe. :P
  • Yeah, they do have that in their terms of service.

I've been there, on various incarnations of their web host, since about 1999. I do help in the cwahi support forums.

What you could do, so it isn't just a fileshare site, would be to have a site that includes maps you made with the symbols. Or tutorials on how to make symbols and the symbols.

I haven't used the shopping cart that is on their paid web host site, http://www.crosswinds.net/ , but they do have cpanel and various other capabilities there. It is where I host Crestar.
  • Jim I wouldn't have to worry about that because I'm a big mouth - and I love to share viewpoints - so I would probably be writing bloggy articles constantly, lol.