Confusion about commercial use

I find myself a bit confused by the license agreement for these products. It seems to state that I can either put it on up to three computers for non-commercial use or keep it on just one computer and be able to use it for commercial use. So basically if I have two computers that I want to install it on, a home computer and a laptop that travels with me so I can work on the go, but I want to use the maps I create in books I want to publish and make money off of, then that means I would be limited to installing the program on just one of those computers? If yes then why? That's incredibly limiting and doesn't make much sense. Why restrict commercial use of the maps I create just because I happen to have the program installed on multiple computers? If the idea is to limit sharing of the software I'd think there would be a better way to implement it than this.

Comments

• Profantasy Ralf or Simon will have to answer this one.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I am not a ProFantasy employee, so this is not an official answer, but policies like this is quite common in the software world. Just look at products from Microsoft for example. They sell a lot of home versions that can be installed on up to 3 computers, but none of their business versions allows this, they only allow one install per license.
    The general idea is usually that if you use a product for commercial use, it is only fair that you pay for all your usages of it. All you have to do to use it for commercial use is to buy two copies of CC3, one for your laptop and one for your home computer. The idea here isn't to limit your use of the maps base on the number of installs you have, but to limit your installs to the number you have paid for if you wish to create maps for commercial use.

If you look at other software companies, you will also see another common way of handling this; One license one allows for one single install, but a license for commercial use is simply more expensive. In any case, it is standard practice that software is more expensive for commercial use than non-commercial use. Some do it by making commercial licenses more expensive, others, like ProFantasy, does it by granting non-commercial users extra installs per license.