Disappearing Objects on COS3 ground map creation

I’m hoping someone will be able to help me out here – I have looked through the user manual, tutorials and topics on this forum but I’ve yet to find anything that fits

I’m trying to create a simple ground map in Cosmographer 3 showing the deck plan of a small ship sitting on a ground landing pad – nothing fancy.

I have managed to get as far as creating the ground background using the Standard Cosmographer Deckplan Bitmap template and changing the background colour to Terrain, Grass Dry with “insert on current sheet” selected. (I’m stuck using the Deckplan as i get the “No Matching tool” message when I try to use Cos 3 objects in the other Cos templates) I am also able to create a basic hull and deck plan on this background – no problems there

However......

When I try to insert some command, engineering or other object (entities?) either inside the deck plan or outside on the “ground” the following happens

When I zoom in or out – all objects vanish (even on redraw). The “Bring to front” entity selection will not reveal them

If I switch between different categories of objects from the menu button (e.g selecting “Cargo” after using “Engineering Systems”) - all previously placed objects vanish. The “Bring to front” entity selection will only reveal them temporarily until i zoom or use a menu button, then they vanish again.

I realise this is probably something fundamental that I have missed in respect to either sheets or layers (I’m still learning about these and they do seem to be more complicated than other drawing packages I have used). I have tried various options, “show all” or “hide all” in Drawing Sheet but this makes no difference.

I think essentially what I need to do is set my objects so on placement they remain on top of existing sheets however at present I have no idea how to do this, and as yet no clues from the help menu.

Any tips as to what I am doing wrong or how I can correct this would be greatly appreciated as i’m all out of ideas at present and I’m having to resort to copying and pasting from Cos3 into PSP to try and finish off the map.

P.S. I know this type of map can be done because they have one displayed on the pro-fantasy side (Small Landing Pad - Outdoor Bitmap Style with Lighting). Unfortunately there is no guide that I can find thus far as to how to create one

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    This is definitely a sheet problem. There reason the objects appear when you place them but dissapear as you describe is because CC3 doesn't redraw the map all the time, as this will slow down editing. Therefore, anything new placed will appear on to untill the next redraw, when it will be placed where it belongs.

Also notice that 'Bring to Front' only brings item to the front of the current sheet, so it doesn't help if items are placed on the wrong sheet.

In most cases symbols are placed on the SYMBOLS sheet, so check the sheet order to make sure this sheet is drawn in the right order. Also make sure that your backgrounds are on the correct sheets.

You can always check which sheet an entity is on by using the List command. A good way to check that stuff is on the correct sheet is also to hide all sheets by one, and check each sheet in turn.