FT3 and Google Earth

I just upgraded to FT3 because I noticed that one of its features was to export to google earth. and this works quite well. But is there a way to create custom borders or layers?

Comments

• I also just upgraded as I was enticed by this new feature to export to google maps. Is there some way to get the altitude data into google earth? or how about get a super-hi-res version of the map to really take advantage of the ability to zoom?

Thanks!
  • OMG! you can export to google earth!
    Umbratikus
  • Purchased and installing now!
  • edited October 2011
    I'm not sure to know how to use this feature... Can someone light my path?

OK, tried. Can't export map greater than 8192px... sniff

Regards,

Paul
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    FT has an upper limit on the size of data that it can manage in memory (it's a 32-bit program and so can only access 2GB or so of memory). That works out to be roughly an 8192 resolution image, unfortunately.
  • How do you export to google earth? I don't see it as an option on the File -> Export World menu.
    Help file doesn't get a hit on keyword "google" either.

I have version 3.0.4
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Export >> KMZ file.

Kmz is the Google Earth format.
  • 3 months later
  • I have to give a try on it soon!!!
  • 1 year later
  • Posted By: jslaytonFT has an upper limit on the size of data that it can manage in memory (it's a 32-bit program and so can only access 2GB or so of memory). That works out to be roughly an 8192 resolution image, unfortunately.
    Is 8192 still the upper limit for KMZ resolution, in the latest version of FT3 in 2013?

I am on a 64-bit OS with 8GB RAM available, and the release notes for the latest FT3 mentioned being able to take advantage of more memory. Yet I still had no luck with 10000 resolution setting for KMZ (it looked like a hemisphere was missing in the final output viewed in Google Earth). 8192 worked. I would like to employ higher resolution so it looks better when zooming in.

I love the Google Earth KMZ export feature by the way. It is very fun and educational to spin your custom world with a mouse in Google Earth. Thank you very much for Fractal Terrains 3 and Terraformer. I will show my maps WIP when I get some images onlne.