combining two templates ?

I was thinking on how to combine my 180x234 maps and the map I posted in another thread here. a new hempisphere for Crestar The one with the island named Hare on it.

I have figured out where I want to insert the new area.

It is the adding it in part that I'm not sure how to do...

I do have a template for 5x5 areas of 180x234 maps. And the large fcw file for the partial Southern continent area.

Is there a way to insert the above template into the map ? If I can, I could add the 180x234 maps into the larger map and make one large southern hemisphere.

I guess I could make a basic map using 5x5 the template, and insert that into the larger map. And then add the 180x234 maps in one at a time.

With over 1000 surface maps to add, this could take a long time. Hopefully before the next ice age... :-(

Can anyone come up with a faster method ? Is it possible to combine two templates in one map ?

Should I just let this combining idea fall by the wayside ?

Thanks.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited October 2011
    Posted By: JimPI guess I could make a basic map using 5x5 the template, and insert that into the larger map. And then add the 180x234 maps in one at a time.
    CC3 doesn't let you insert a template into a drawing, so that is the way you need to do it.

You might be able to automate the insertion of maps using a macro (Hopefully, I don't remember if there is appropriate macro command for inserting files)
  • Yeah, I figured that would be it. Thanks.
  • Oh, I just thought of something. Export the 5x5 as a png or bmp. Insert that into the partial southern hemisphere, and use it as a guide to insert the 180x234 map files.
  • I came up with a better solution. I took my 5x5 template, and using the copy [cop] command turned it into a 10x10 template.

I'll use this to build up 10x10 areas of my 180x234 surface maps and add them to my partial new Southern Hemisphere. Many of the small islands are going to disappear in the large new Southern Hemisphere map. They'll look like tiny smudges. If they look too tiny, I'll remove them form the final map.