New trying to figure a few things out...

Hello, new to the forums and mapping in general. I am creating a map for a tabletop campaign. I've got a basic map built but I need help with two different things:

1. When I create a Hex grid on my map, is there a way to either create a color "battle line" that separates two opposing armies or at least plant color coded flags to denote armies? Any help on this would be great!

2. What is the easiest way to import new symbols and where can I find some Sci Fi symbols? (Shield generators, barracks, air fields, etc...)

Hopefully these are pretty simple fixes that I just haven't figured out yet. I would appreciate any and all suggestions on the matters.
Thanks!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited October 2011
    1. I am unsure excatly how you would like such a "battle line" to look. Maybe some other people know better what you mean though. If you just want a simple line, you have the line tool though, in the right toolbar set. Just set desired properties first (color, width), then draw it using wither the basic line tool, or one of the other line types nearby. If you need it to follow the hexes, a Path should work nicely, and then use the endpoint modifier when placing nodes to align it perfectly to the hex grid.

2. Easiest: Buy Cosmographer 3. Other than that, you can search the net for such symbols. They should be in .png format, which is one of the common image formats. Then just put them in a folder, and hit the "Open symbol catalog" button, browse to this folder, select any one of the .png's, and the symbol catalog window will show all the png's in the folder, ready to use on the map. (Note that most symbols won't match CC3's scale by default, or even match each other if you get them from different sources, so you need to scale each of them as you place them)
    Note that CC3 only references the png files, they aren't embedded in the map, so you should make sure you have them in a permanent location before using them in a map.
    You can also make your own symbol catalogs using such files, but that is a bit more involved, although not really difficult.
  • Hey thanks for the reply. I went back an put in the lines as you mentioned and it worked well. It was snapping onto the hex grid lines and following, which is what I wanted. I will look into Cosmographer, I heard it was good. I do want to try my hand at making a catalog and downloading symbols, but I know there are plenty of tutorials and things here already. I'll do some research. Thanks for the help.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    You're Welcome.

Happy mapping :)