Escapment Tool

Does anyone know of a good tutorial or directions for use of the Escarpment tool? In particular I would like to know about how the Symbol Scale and Location portion relates to the map at hand. Currently, I have to sit and mess with the settings until I get the desired effect, but having to do this on each new map is time consuming. Perhaps if I knew what these values meant it would speed up my use of this tool.

Thanks.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    For the scaling options, 100% = symbol scale 1.0. To see the default scale of your regular symbols in the map, go to File -> Drawing properties, and check the default symbol scale value. For example, if this value is 2.0, a scale value in the Escarpment tool of 200% will create symbols the same size as your default value.
    The two "% along" boxes sets the starting and ending point (in percentage of the entire guideline) of the center scale value. The beginning of the line (before the first value) uses the starting scale, while the end of the line uses the ending scale.
  • Thanks for taking the time to answer, that makes sense, perhaps you can answer an additional question. Do you know how to calculate what the 1.0 Symbol Scale represents on the map. For instance, my current project is a city on a 5000' x 5000' map, if I used the 'Line Endpoint' symbol at 100% scale for Starting, Center, and Ending, how long would the line be.

I realize that I can Info->Distance this answer, but knowing how I might determine this prior to doing several 'tests' would save some time.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Well, 1.0 scale is the natural scale for an entity (The scale it was designed in). So to know how big a symbol would be a t 1.0 scale, you basically need to know the size of the symbol. (Yea, kind of circular that one). Note that 1.0 scale is always the symbols real size, no matter the dimensions of your map. The symbol will look smaller on a huge map of course, but the real size will be the same.