Hex/Grid only on floors?

My issue is I would like to be able to combine elements of several mapping styles and I'm not quite sure how to do it.

I'm using the Annual Battle Map for my large maps and the Battle Tiles for my tiles. What I would like to do with my Battle Maps is only have the grid show where there are floors only. I don't want the grid on the background as I'm using 1 hex = 3 feet so when you look at the battle map all you can see is the Hex Grid.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• 18 days later
  • Does anyone have any ideas on this query, because I'd like to do something similar with starship deckplans,
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    To have the grid on the floors only, you need to either

1) Cover the rest of the grid with something. This usually means you have to draw all the "outside" parts, instead of, or in addition to the rooms.

2) Use the Split/Trim tools to remove the parts of the grid that appears outside your floors manually. This does involve some work, and you shouldn't do it before the map is finished, as it is difficult to add grid parts back in.
  • Wouldn't you just be able to add a sheet for "Hex Floors" and then have that sheet show as underneath whatever you put as your background of the walls and un-usable areas? Seems like an easy approach for something like this. Then you just have to make sure you build your walls over top of the hexes in an "orderly" manner that fit along with your hexes.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Another way to go is to draw a polygon/multipoly with the "Square Grid 5'" (or whatever) Symbol Fill on the GRID sheet, instead of the normal, drawing-filling grid. You'll need to make sure it is one entity, so that the grid properly aligns everywhere.
  • 4 months later
  • And here´s another total newbie who just can´t do it.
    I´m stuck with the same problem - trying to get a grid overlaying the Floors, but not visible over the background.

My first try was to copy the rooms (i.e. the floors) and giving the copies a square grid fill. Problem is, I only get a grid of dashed lines, regardless of my other settings in fill / line style). This happens with any form, layer or sheet.

I tried to figure out how it´s done in the Tutorial examples files (Example12.FCW). Here however, I can fill with grids correctly. The map setup appears to be the same (Dungeon DD3 Colour, bitmap). Any idea as to what I´m doing wrong, or what the difference to the Tutorial file might be?
  • Bonus question (I guess this is somehow connected...) :
    Why is the grid in the tutorial files (e.g. Example12.fcw) visible only when the "BACKGROUND (FLOOR 1)" _and_ the "SYMBOL DEFINITION" layers are shown (all others hidden), but not when either is turned off? What layer is the grid on?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The tutorial map have a custom symbol defined which is used for the grid, a symbol which isn't found in the regular templates.

Not that these grids are actually symbols, so your line style doesn't have anything to do with it. If you wish, you can edit these symbols by going to Symbols --> Symbol manager, then turn on the option to show fill style symbols, select the desired grid, then hit the edit button (Or perhaps make a copy of it yourself.) You can now change the dashed lines in the symbol to solid lines, or whatever you need.

As for the bonus question, this is related to the issue I mentioned above, these grids are actually symbols. And symbols have their definition on the SYMBOL DEFINITION layer, and their reference on whatever layer you put them. If you hide either the definition or the reference, the symbols will be hidden.