CC2Pro and Windows 7

I have install CC2Pro on my Windows 7 32 bit OS.
There does not appear to be any errors in the installation. But when I launch the application and try to select a new template, it just hangs there. You can click close, but that just closes the form, the map does not change. I did come across a posting stating to select open from the file menu. That just causes a the program to crash hard. I have applied the update, but I get the same result. If anyone has any ideas, please send them my way.

R

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Generally CC2 Pro is not supported on Windows 7, sorry. It has some things (like a new map via the template selection as above) that don't work. You can work around this though, if you want: Type TEMPLATE at the command line and load the template you want to use from the file dialog that comes up. Then right-click the New map button and say "New from current template".
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited September 2011
    If you have a spare Windows XP (or an older windows version) available, you may wish to simply run CC2 inside a virtual machine. VMWare Player is free, and contrary to it's name, it can also create and manage new virtual machines. Modern virtualization solutions are quite fast, with minimal overhead, so running CC2 inside a virtual machine will work nicely.
  • thank you

It appears that i have a stack of useless software.
    I do understand virtualization as we used it at work, just a shame to resort to this.

R
    It is quite possible to use CC2 Pro with Windows 7, if you use the workaround as described. I have ti installed on my W7 system (for legacy support) and it works okay.
    The two commands are directly available by right-clicking the New button. First do "Select Template" and choose the template you want to base your map on, then do "New from current template".

If you want this fix to be available from your menu too, you can do the following:

Go to your CC2 Pro folder and open fcw32.mnu in a text editor. Scroll down to about line 108 and check for the following text:

&File:
    &New...:|BROWSET;#TEMPLATES\MAPS;

Replace this with

&File:
    &Select Template:|TEMPLATE;
    &New...:|NEW;

Save the mnu file and do the same replacement in all of your mnu files.

This will make the template selection and new from current template available directly from your File menu.
  • still crashes. when i debug, i get the following:

Unhandled exception at 0x774337b7 in FCW32.exe: 0xC0000374: A heap has been corrupted.
    At what point does it crash? When you use Select Template, or New from current template?
  • 5 months later
  • Thank you Ralf, the work around worked for me
  • 3 months later
  • edited June 2012
    While the work around for starting a new map does work for me in Win 7 I seem to get an error message soon after a start working:

"Fcw32.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

I get the same problem when trying to open an existing map to edit it.

Any thoughts?

PS: I'm using a 64-bit installation of Win 7

PPS: I've tried a virtual machine but it takes up 3Gig of disc space I don't have.
    Sorry, can't be much help here. I would recommend upgrading to CC3 to get everything to work under Windows 7.
  • Posted By: RalfSorry, can't be much help here. I would recommend upgrading to CC3 to get everything to work under Windows 7.
    I already have CC3, too, I use it mostly for Harn Poetic Maps. But until someone upgrades Mappa Harnics to CC3 I'm stuck with the CC2 incarnation for the rest of my Harn maps. Sadly I don't understand the software enough to take that on myself.
  • I can use CC2 under Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit. I haven't done much in the way of maps with it.

Hmm... have you tried running it as a 32-bit program, or in compatibility mode ?