Some questions from a new mapper

Hi all,

I`m currently working on a map of a world with various regions. Naturally I am working on the whole map first. I have some questions about it:

1) Extending map size:
I want to add some more islands and a nice header banner, but I have used all of the room available for the main continent. Is it possible to extend the mapsize? When I simply create a bigger map and insert the original one, do I have to make all changes in the old one? Maybe I`ll also add another continent in the future.

2) Remake of the regions:
The second thing I want to do is to make maps focusing on the different regions. Is it possible to reuse the parts in another map, so I don`t have to redraw the coastline (which can never be 100% the same)

3) The interactive mode:
I really like the feature for getting more into details and link different maps with each other. Is there a way, that this can be used outside the CC3-Viewer? For instance on a Homepage? Of course I can do that with html too, but maybe there is something which has been already made.

4) Treasure maps for mods:
This is another project. I`ve joined a modding team for a RPG-game as voice actor and currently there is no one, which can make nice treasure maps. The problem is, that the world is pretty small and has various height differences. I wasn`t able to get that right with the styles I have so far.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    1) There are multiple ways of extending the map size.
    - Just erase the entities on the map border layer, and draw a new map border further out
    - Start a new larger map, then use insert file to insert your old one
    - Start a new larger map, then use copy/paste to get everything on the old map over to the new one (Remember you can run two instances of CC3 simultaneously)

2) Yes. Just use copy/paste to copy the parts you need, then either remove the parts you don't need from the copy (if any), or use the trace feature of most drawing tools to trace the section you need, then delete the copy when you are done tracing it.

3) Well, you can always open up a map from a hyperlink on your webpage. This would be just a regular html link that goes to the map file. Obviously, this requires the viewer to have CC3 or the viewer installed to be able to see the map. Other than that, you need to export the map as an image and link to that instead. Obviously, once you go outside CC3, you don't have CC3's tools available though.

4) Have a look at the annuals. Maybe one of them has a style fit for your purpose.
  • Thank you for the quick answers! I`ll keep that in mind :)