Windows 7 64-bit install

I'm trying to install all my PF stuff on a new 64-bit machine but am having issues...CC3 and update 10 install okay but when I go to install the annuals it says it can't find the program installed and won't let me point it to the install in the C:\Program Files (x86) folder. When I try to install it in the C:\Program Files folder I have other issues.

Ideas or suggestions?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Make sure you run all the installers by right-clicking on them and select "Run as Admin" (Even if you are logged in as an Administrator).

While CC3 does work fine from the program files directory, some things also do get simpler if you install to someplace outside thos folders, something like c:\profantasy\cc3 or anything not inside any of the program files directories. This prevents windows from applying it's special protection to the CC3 install directory.
  • 28 days later
  • I am unable to install CD3 on my Windows 7 64-bit desktop (yes, I always right-click/RunAsAdministrator when I run the setup executables). While CC3 installed and runs fine, when I try to install CD3 I get

Error. The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package.
    This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2343.

Clicking OK results in

CC3 Patch 6 was unable to install the new files. The error code is: -11.

I've tried installing in the following paths:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ProFantasy\
    C:\Program Files\ProFantasy\
    C:\campaigns\ProFantasy\

but not only are all three overall results identical --- CC3 success, CD3 fail --- the setup does not honor the choice! It does create these folders
    [Documentation]
    [Examples]
    [Filters]
    [Hatch Styles]
    [ImageMagick]
    [MenuHelper]
    [Symbols]
    [System]
    in the selected directory, but they are all empty and the product is always entirely created in C:\Program Files (x86)\ProFantasy\! Sadly the link created in the Start Menu points to the selected path, where there is no fc32.exe.

As a final test, I tried installing CD3 _without_ the CC3 "patch 6", and as I expected, it was successful. But now CC3 is unpatched (Version 3.11 CAD 6.17b6 03/07/07).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Just to see what would happen, I dragged the "ProFantasy" folder from C:\Program Files (x86)\ to C:\Program Files\ and ran the CD3 setup, hoping that it would apply the Patch 6. Unfortunately it simply offered the REPAIR and REMOVE choices, so I cancelled out.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Did you install from CD-Rom or from the most recent downloads? This sounds like a problem with the CD3 installer that was fixed a while ago.

Please try to install CC3 Update 10 (available from the registration page), run CC3 once, then try to reinstall City Designer 3.
  • edited September 2011
    Thanks for the reply. I had already uninstalled CC3, so I just downloaded the two setups and started over with them. I had bought both of these a year ago and installed them on my laptop, but never really used them much (father in hospital) so I was using those on my new desktop (replacing the laptop, which has died) --- I should have thought of checking for newer files. I had

CC3Setup.exe 343 Mb 10 JUL 2007 version 3.0.0.0
    CD3Setup.exe 381 Mb 3 AUG 2010 version 3.22.0.0

compared to the ones I got today

CC3Setup.exe 356 Mb 11 DEC 2010 version 3.42.0.0
    CD3Setup.exe 430 Mb 11 DEC 2010 version 3.24.0.0

Ran them (as Administrator of course) and there were no problems. Don't have time for a serious test tonight but it seems to run okay. Thank you.