Can CC3 do this?

Ever since I saw the latest WotC maps for 4E material, I have become obsessed with them. The design, coloring, detail, etc. is just fantastic.

I have been doing research trying to find out what program they use to make the maps.
Example: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3624/4556225476_969f5d2333.jpg

What I need to know is if they use CC3 to do this, or something else? Would I need some kind of custom texture packs to do what they do?

If I can make maps using the same icons/textures they do, I will drop all the money I need to do so immediately.

Help a brother out, please!

Comments

• They most likely use Adobe Photoshop. CC3 is very good at making maps quickly, and it can be used as a nice substitute if one isn't a great graphic artist. It's best features though, often go overlooked (like it's vector-based graphics capability, which lets users create maps and scale them without ANY loss of visual quality).

The main reason for using Photoshop is that it handles layers very easily, and if the user is skilled, graphics can be practically hand-drawn. CC3 has some of the se features as well, although CC3 is a LOT slower at screen refreshing it's various graphic effects when compared to Photoshop.

I would be willing to bet there is a nice CC3 Annual map style that can approximate the 4th ed. style if you look around. It may not be EXACT, but it will be very very close, and will look good on paper.

The best thing about CC3 when compared to Photoshop is the VAST difference in price. Where Photoshop can cost in the thousands (Yes you read that correctly!) CC3 is a far more reasonable price ($44.95 US), and offers very good discounts on bundles.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    edited September 2011
    CC3 can certainly do something like that, but it can't do that specifically without the art assets. Take a look at the annuals and see if there is an overland style which suits you. There are some I think are even nicer than that example.

http://www.profantasy.com/products/sub.asp
  • Sounds like a good candidate for a future issue of the Annual... :)
  • 19 days later
  • I know i'm a little late on this but looking at that example, isn't it just part of the new Forgotten Realms Map (the 4th Edition after the Plague map?) in which case then at least the 'base' elements of that map where made IN CC3, the original FR and FR 3rd maps where CC2 and then sections of the FR 4th where done in CC3 that was posted on WoTC's website at one point anyway.

but yeah it's not the greatest style in the world, there are better styles in the annual