Saving File Problems

I have been having problems with my computer not saving the maps properly. Some days if I try to open the file I'll find that all of my day's work is lost along with all the mountains, or all the of the trees. I've been forced to make multiple backup files of my work, but it doesn't always work. Does anyone know why CC3 is doing this?

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Make sure that the folder you're saving to isn't marked as read only, or that you're not saving to c:\program files(x86).
    That's the only things I can think of.
  • My path is: c:|Profantasy\CC3\ on my Vista computer. ( Vista and Win7 don't like CL\Program Files\ to be changed by saving files to it. Some strange security measure that just gets in my way.)

Under there are different folders say crestar, and then nation folders under there.

And don't just save.

'Save as' to multiple filenames. Save as nation01_001, do some work, save as nation01_002, etc.

That way if a map stops working, or you decide to change direction on the mapping to another style, it is much easier to do so.

This method has certainly helped me do almost 2000 surface maps for my Crestar site. And correct my errors more easily.
  • 7 days later
  • I tried that JIm, thanks. It didn't work. I recently did a Windows update which has just made it worse.
  • edited August 2011
    Marvin - please describe - step by step - how you are saving your maps, and WHAT type of file that you are saving them as, and WHERE you are saving them to. I have had Windows Vista for years - and I have vast experience with dealing with the evils of this beast, as have others on the forum, so everybody here needs more info, lol.

Make sure that you describe the filepath that your saving them to also. Give us the process that you are using - even if your not doing anything but just saving the file. We need details.

What are you doing to your maps BEFORE your saving them also?

What kind of computer are you using - processor speed? RAM memory? HHD storage (Hard Drive Space)?

What programs or background processes are you running at the same time that you are using CC3?

When was the last time that you defragmented your hard drive?

As was mentioned before - have you changed how Vista reads the files in the file "Properties" window when you RIGHT CLICK on a given file - or if you go through the Control Panel to your Files And Folders options?

I suspect that "Maybe" - you might have something stored in a browser temp folder - or an "Active X" component that you may have downloaded somewhere - that's screwing around with your operations - but I can't be sure unless I know more about what's going on.

In Windows Vista - there are about a thousand different settings that are changable about any given file - which - although Microsoft decided that doing this would make files more secure or increase user customization options - it just ruined intuative GUI operations, and increased the probabilities of glitches occurring - like a rabid pack of mischief itchy gremlins going off - on multiple levels. Glitches occurring as a result of changing file property options, either voluntarily or involuntarily - is one of the things about Vista that can be agonizing.

Also - before bringing this to the forum - you should try going through Tech support, either at http://www.profantasy.com/service/technical.asp, or person to person from your registered user page. There are lots of knowledgable folks here - but it's a given that the guys that are going to know the most about whatever problem that you are having are the guys that wrote CC3.
    try doing that while your filling us in on more details here, and we'll all try to figure something out.
  • I usually will just hit the file save button on the toolbar at random intervals during the time that I am working. At the end of my work time, I'll go into the "save as" command and save a backup copy of the finished file. It doesn't always work. Yesterday's backup file is a mess, though the primary file is okay.

My computer has the following specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 4 GB

I'm using Parallels Desktop to run Windows XP. I haven't defragmented my hard drive because Macs do that automatically. The file is saved in the following path: C:Program Files\ProFantasy\CC3\test pics\Test map August 28th.FCW (Or whatever the current date is.) The backup file includes the letters bkup with one space after the date.

I could be doing any function before saving them, it doesn't seem to matter.

Usually if I am running any other programs it would be Safari and the Mac version of Outlook, which shouldn't be affecting the Windows side.

One of the big hiccups I have noticed is when I am adding new bitmaps by going through Tools>Set Properties>Fill Style. I rarely can do more than a few before it causes CC3 to crash or else jams up the Fill Style functions am I am forced to close the program to clear it up.

Another thing that is happening is that sometimes the buttons won't work and I am forced to reboot Windows to fix it. This was never a problem before I did a recent Windows update.

Hope this is a help.
  • edited August 2011
    Ok Marvin - I just woke up a little while ago so I'm a tad groggy at the moment. Ok - I'm going to first suggest that you completely uninstall - and then reinstall CC3. The reason why - is that I'm smelling a registry error in this particular situation. There is a reason why Windows (any version - sadly) - is referred to by seasoned programmers and networkers as ".dll Hell", and that is that if you even so much as fart while at your keyboard, the Windows registry will come down with a bad case of dementia praecox, lol.

I would have suggested many years ago - getting a fly by night, "box top" registry cleaner like "WISE Cleaner", or "Easy Cleaner" - but having had multiple experiences with apps like those ranging from complete inneffectuality - to nosediving my entire O.S., I recommend that you steer clear of those (non-reviewed / non-certified / ad riddled / dubious junk freeware apps).

I would instead suggest uninstalling CC3, and then simply going through the Windows native house cleaning app ( Start up > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup), let Windows run that under default settings (don't mess with the settings / check any boxes that aren't checked already - or uncheck any that already are) - get rid of the dust and gunk and crap - and then re-install CC3. I would like to however - footnote that by saying that if you were running a P.C. and NOT a Mac - it would be even better if you uninstalled CC3, did "Disk Cleanup", and then defragged your hard drive BEFORE reinstalling CC3.

I use an app now called Piriform CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/) . It's not a registry cleaner per se, but just a general garbage cleaning application that has a registry doctor function as one of it's sub-options, which is a sub option that shouldn't even concern you unless you know your O.S.s registry better than you know your own mother. It's a reliable app, it's free, it's kosher (CNET and Microsoft Certified), and it's never let me down.

Try what I told you to try first, and if everything works out, then I would suggest checking out CCleaner, read the documentation on it, do not download and install it until you read the documentation, get educated about it - even read the negative reviews and problem reports about it by Googling or Yahooing product reviews / critiques / complaints, and decide if it's something that you might want. If you do get it - then all that you would have to do would be to use the general cleaning operations within CCleaner - and leave the registry repair sub option alone - and it would get rid of a lot of cobwebs that can build up over time and crap up your system. It's best that if you do get it - then you use it under the same default settings that it came with - and do not change the application's settings unless you get familiarized with it after a year or two of using it.

I'm using a P.C., not a Mac or MacBook, so I can't tell you how that app would work on your puter - but it's optimized for a full install Windows architecture, so - If your running BOTH the Windows, and the Macintosh O.S.s on a virtual machine like deal, the way that some Linux software have been designed to run a virtual Windows port (WINE, "Lindows","XWindows", etc.), then I'm not sure if CCleaner would really work in that kind of environment (Dual O.S.).

You also said - qoute: "I'm using Parallels Desktop to run Windows XP. I haven't defragmented my hard drive because Macs do that automatically. The file is saved in the following path: C:Program Files\ProFantasy\CC3\test pics\Test map August 28th.FCW (Or whatever the current date is.) The backup file includes the letters bkup with one space after the date."

I would get rid of the empty space in the backup file name.

I invite ANYONE who may have a differing opinion than my own here to PLEASE chime in on this thread and provide Marvin with alternative approaches to this problem, and any additional options.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Some suggestions:
    Try saving your maps files outside of the Program Files.
    Save files without spaces.
    When importing fill styles, use the utility provided Tools >> Import Bitmap Fill Styles.