City Designer 3 / Upgrade Options Discussion

Comments

• edited March 2008
    Posted By: RobWhat i think TheElf is commenting on here is originally the Dates where DD3 within 6 months, CD3 within a year or the like.. some of us got the packages etc and waited the problem being there that Profantasy has stated that you only get the free art upgrade if the product comes out within a year of you purchasing the product.

So in the case of City Designer that means those who have brought it less then 1 year ago are fine those of us who have been waiting 1 1/2 years (think that's right now maybe longer?) have to pay out for it and i think that's what he's upset about.
    Well, presumably that promise was made when they thought CD3 was coming out sooner; I think among other things the release of Windows Vista screwed that up. I'd think/hope that since they couldn't stick to anything close to their original release schedule (for COMPLETELY understandable reasons), they'd give the upgrade to anyone who purchased CD2 after CD3 was in the works, more or less.

I could be wrong though... that might be unfeasible to do, among other things. (And yeah, i think I bought CD2 thinking I'd get CD3 sooner and am probably technically past the 1 year range at this point... but if I have to buy the upgrade and can't afford it/don't think it's worth my money for the wait, etc., I just won't buy it. At least I still have CD2 to work with.)
  • edited March 2008
    I've been looking at CC3 for some time now, and thinking about picking it up. As my time spent on VTTs keeps going up, I find the value of the software greater and greater. Now I plan to get CC3 & DD3 already--like by the end of the week. But, if I knew that getting the World Builder bundle would mean I'm buying CD3 (even if it's more than a year from now) then I'm getting that bundle. If I'm gambling on whether or not it's finished in a year? Sorry I'll take a pass on that--and I doubt I'd ever get the fractal software either, so that seems like lost profit to me.

I don't mind how long it takes--from what I've seen of CC3 & DD3, I want you to take your time! But from my viewpoint, FTM & CD3 appeal to me as part of the bundle only, so it's important for me to know if my pre-order means, "till CD3 is ready" or "if CD3 is ready in the next year". If it's the former, then I'll be ordering one bundle. :)
  • sdavies2720sdavies2720 Traveler
    edited March 2008
    I would suggest sending that question directly to PF, if you haven't already. Only they can answer it and while they check these boards frequently, the direct question is more likely to get a direct answer.

Steve
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Ah, sorry didn't see the question. Yes, buying the World Builder bundle means buying a CD3 pre-order (and CD Pro right now).
  • NeonKnightNeonKnight Traveler
    edited March 2008
    I know for a fact Profantasy will stick to their word. When I first purchased the software, it was way back i the day of CC2 (after CC DOS and before CC Pro, V5 I believe). I ordered, and waited, and waited, and waited. Finally I emailed and was told it was shipped, give it another week. So I did, Still nothing. So they re said they would resend. Waited a week: nothing. Took a DEEP breath, waited another week, nothing. By now more than two months have gone by with no software. Finally they shipped a 3rd time, paying extra out of their pocket to get it to me in two days.It finally showed up. No idea what ever happened to the other copies. Do I blame Profantasy?

Sure, I could have blamed them. I have dealt with other online retailers I will never ever touch again no matter how good a deal they profess to give me. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

But Profantasy is not this kind of company. I've been waiting since the release of CC3 too, and those of use who have CD Pro (or in my case, Just CD2), we would like the new bells and whistles and toys of the new program, but I will wait, and do what I can until then.

Take your time Simon. I'll wait. You have earned my trust and respect.
  • New CA 16 (April 2008) is out! And VERY nice. Great job! I've got just a question: In 'Building' paragraph in PDF documentation is mentioned House command. However, my housecommand still shows window from CD2 and not the one in PDF documentation (perhaps from CD3). Is it OK that the house command doesn't show the new window? And how to make buildings with the new building options in CA 16 afterwards?
    I'm sorry, the new house command is not included in the Annual, you'll have to wait for City Designer 3 to use it. You'll be limited to the CD2 functionality at the moment, if you use the template and style from the April isssue. It should still be useful and allow you to create some nice maps.
  • Thanks Ralf for your quick response. I thought It's not included (but I hoped... :-( ). Nevermind, the new drawing tools are amaizing, like the whole new annual. It is nice the bitmaps seems to be varicolor. It might hande much new cool work. I'm gonna "play" with it till the final CD3 is out.
    Thanks for the CD3 example.
  • 10 days later
  • edited April 2008
    In our world imps build pagodas and drink tea. Will CD3 support pagodas?
  • edited April 2008
    Imps and pagados? Now that sounds interesting.
  • 9 days later
  • edited April 2008
    Posted By: jackypaperImps and pagados? Now that sounds interesting.
    Off topic, but as you wish:
    Imps are a marry nation. They like fun and drinking their excellent tea. Their tea is popular and well known for all other nations of the world. Some of them have a magic talent and in that case they are one of the best wizards in the world (equal to noble elves). Imps built pagodas, but only mountain imps build it nowadays, because Pagodas are too bound up with wizards…
    A thousand-year-old-empire of imps is divided into two parts: forest imps and mountain imps. Their history is full of dark moments, especially with wizards. Imps’ wizards from the Golden Forest used to abuse their power to dominate all other forest imps. The abused imps rose against them and there came civil war, which divided empire of imps into few countries. Nowadays, countries on the north hate wizards and spells are strictly prohibited there. Countries on the south don’t like them too, but tolerate them. Imps with magic talent from north migrate to the south and seek asylum now to prevent their persecution. The other way is to go to the Imps’ Hills, where their mountain brothers live. Mountain imps live separately and don’t interfere with the forest land and the forest imps, they didn't even be a part of the civli war. And there is another land as well. Dark land Fu, from where came the first dark imp wizard. He is dead and land Fu is taboo land now. However, prophecy says an evil will come again from Fu in future.
    There is another big enemy as well, the biggest one – Khar the Daemon and his goblins and his dragon-men. Khar is the enemy of all live from the start. He fought against very old and noble and advanced empire of Arvedans’ nation on the far south. When Khar conquered the Arvedans’ empire, he started to make war against imps from the Golden Forest. However, the imp wizards were too good in magic and they were repelling the invasion of goblins. Thus he poisoned minds of the imp wizards and make (let) them drive the empire into civil war.
    Few decades ago men from the northern continent Lendor have come to southern continent Tara and made goblins pull back to the south and east. However, the Golden forest (Zlaty les) and Imps’ Hills (Skritci vrchy) lie on the border between men on the north and west and goblins on the east now.

You can see a map of the north of Tara continent, where you can see Golden Forest – Zlaty les and Imps’ Hill – Skritci vrchy, or a map of Tara and the northern continent Lendor together. And here is a map of the Farlands (Dalavy) - a land on the north-west by Golden Forest.

This all is only a very little part of the Asterion realms. You can see other maps from Asterion here. There are many other maps, but they haven't been published at the internet, so I cannot publish them. However, the Asterion has been released in Czech language only. Its publisher Altar thinks English speaking players wouldn’t be interested, because they have Forgotten Realms etc. already.
  • Just to take this further off-topic, those are some nice maps :)
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    A few CD3 points.
    1. CD3 is not being delayed by any other work ProFantasy is doing, for example, the annual. It is being delayed but the availability of our top programmer. He is brilliant, and no one else knows how to work with an update the code like he does. We are slowly gettting there, and work is progressing. We aren't twiddling out thumbs wondering how else to use our time while doing nothing on CD3. We are looking at ways to avoid this issue in the future.

2. Of course we will honour any commitments to free upgrades. That is, up to a year after the purchase date, and in the specfic case of CD3, eveeyone who bought after early August last year gets a free upgrade whatever happens.

3. What has delayed us was fixing the issues thrown up by about 5% of Vista installations. These are now fixed. The development time spent on Vista was all time that otherwise would have been spent on CD3. We've spent about the same programming time on each. It's just a frustrating part of software development.

4. CD3 will not do everything you want it to. It will do better looking maps with PNG artwork, improved house styles, and create floorplans from selected buildings, but in the first instance, not much else more than CD Pro. We will release it when these features are stable. We'll then add more stuff.
  • LatharionLatharion Traveler
    edited April 2008
    Vista strikes another developer! Curse you Vista! (said while shaking fist in air) :)

Simon, I think I speak for most of the CC3 users when I say that I am really excited by CD3 and the new artwork being developed for it. I realize that there may not be much improvement over my curent CD Pro installation at the moment, but I also realize that Profantasy is commited to creating extremely high quality products. I can't wait to see what you have planned for the future of CD3!
  • 1 month later
  • So any news yet when City Designer 3 wil be out. Its been a month and still no word yet
  • Nope, Profantasy doesn't do that. They will let us know when it is available.
    Sorry, no news about CD3 at the moment.
  • 9 days later
  • gevgev
    edited June 2008
    Posted By: ShadoWWWYou can see a map of the north of Tara continent, where you can see Golden Forest – Zlaty les and Imps’ Hill – Skritci vrchy, or a map of Tara and the northern continent Lendor together. And here is a map of the Farlands (Dalavy) - a land on the north-west by Golden Forest.
    I see the Czech letters in your maps. How did you get this working? My install of CC3 doesn't produce Czech letters even with the system UTF-8 fonts like Arial...? I have install on English XP Pro and Czech Vista X64...
  • Simon a small question, will the basic updated HOUSE etc features be made avalible to those of us with just CDpro (ie those of us who say brought CC3, DD3, CD2 all at the same time (it was over a year ago so I don't see that i'm getting the upgrade for free :( ) I know we won't get the artwork, but I'm just wondering about the 'core' updates such as the roof shading etc.

Or are we going to be expected to pay in my case 50 or more $ to get those features?

I appologise if it sounds narky or the like, just been waiting for CD3 for a while and realising that when it comes out now I'm definantly not getting it for free as the year is over from when I brought CD. :( So I'm wondering if I get any of the fancy new features at all.
  • Hrm.. or maybe I do get the update.. Simon you said earlier any one who brought after early August.. I take it that means August 1st 2007(hope's it does because he brought his August 2nd).
  • Try to stay happy. PF always seems to do the right thing in situations like this. And I really mean always. That's why so many of us are (rabid) fans. Steve
  • Steve,

Understand I wasn't being narky hehe.. I mean I honestly don't blame PF for charging for the product.. it's got a number of 'enhancements' beyond what was originally stated. I'm just wondering if any of those will filter down to those who just have the compatability update..
  • I've been a customer since the DOS days and always found PF a very fair company and very nice people too!! They always go the extra-mile for their customers.

I am looking forward to getting my hands on CD3 and it's so frustrating its taken so long. But I guess its better to wait than to install something that b***ers your maps/computer.

Not long now - I hope!
  • The program is in BETA test stage now. I hear it is killer, but the person whom I know has it, I respect his NDA and will not ask questions, but it is sooooooooooooo hard not to!
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited July 2008
    Seems like CD3 is not too far away (hopefully). Simon posted this blog entry today.
  • 1 month later
  • Any news great Profantasians? I am going crazy waiting for this product to come out!
  • edited August 2008
    well I'll be glad to get it now that I've preordered. been waiting along time for this
  • edited August 2008
    Only one day until GenCon.... are there any rumors and could you tell us more about City Designer 3 after start of GenCon ? :-)
  • edited August 2008
    From what I've heard/read recently GenCon CD3 Demo disks should be avaiable ...
This discussion has been closed.