CC3 + FT?

So, let's say that I have Fractal Terrains and Campaign Cartographer 3. Is there a way to create a world in FT and import it into CC3 ? And if so will it be a scalable image? Thanks!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Yes. FT can export native CC3 files (Well, CC2 files actually, but they work perfectly in CC3). ProFantasy also demoed FT3 Beta in this year's GenCon, which will export native CC3 files.
  • Monsen,
    Actually, I am retarded. I asked this exact question almost 2 years ago and you answered it perfectly well that time too with a good "how to" reply. One question though.. when I do the save as CC2 file from FT, it asks me to select my export settings and has several options. Which one should I select?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Well, it depends what details you wish to have included with your map. Just experiment with the different settings. You may even wish to create your own export setting.
    Try "basic, 100 contours" for a ok starting point without too much clutter.

Note that many of the pre-defined settings have a rather low level of detail by default, just edit the setting to change this to make the CC3 export look more like the FT map.
  • Ok, so apparently I'm a bit more clueless than I originally thought. I've exported my full world map thing from FT and opened it up in CC3 but from here I can't figure out a way to change the map border and every time I delete or cut or erase something, I end up wiping out all my continents or oceans or sometimes both. I have a basic idea that I'm supposed to somehow put a border around the chunk I want to turn into a more detailed map but every time I put a border around it, it's a simple fail on my part. lil more help, please?
  • Do a list and that will give you the tag numbders for the items you selected.

You can then do a delete based on the tag numbers.

Click on the Erase button. Move your mouse pointer to any place on the map, and right click.

Go down to More on the popup, and select tag #.

Then put in the tag number of the item you want to delete.

Ctrl-R to refresh.

Save as filename001, save as filename002, etc. often so you can back up if you go beyond undo's ability to undo.
  • 1 year later
  • edited November 2012
    Hmm... new user here, the problem I'm having right now is that all the maps I export, even on a relatively small scale of a few hundred kilometers, are just horribly undetailed. With the detail setting all the way at 1024. FT gives a wonderfully detailed world, but... I can't import it, no matter what settings I try. Rugged coastlines become straight, bays or inlets (and peninsulae!) shrink, entire islands disappear...

I mean, we'll go from this... [P]whatiwantd.png

[P]
    To this:
    [P]whatigot.png

[P]
    [P]
    I don't need it to be perfect... that's not really going to be possible. But I'd like to get at least the level of detail demonstrated in this video...
  • FT3 is for making fractal worlds. CC3 is for adding cities, nations, rivers, ports, ocean currents, etc.

Export as a CC3 file. Then load it into CC3.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    He is exporting to CC3, it looks like. He needs to increase the output resolution in his CC export.

Using File>>Save Campaign Cartographer file, select the desired Export Settings and click Edit. Click Next until the Detail Level page is shown. Move the slider to the right to increase the output detail level. Then keep clicking Next until the wizard closes. Then that export setting file will save a higher-resolution output (unless you're using the FT demo, in which case you'll be limited to the minimum output resolution no matter what you select; only the full demo will create higher-resolution exports).
  • Posted By: jslayton (unless you're using the FT demo, in which case you'll be limited to the minimum output resolution no matter what you select; only the full demo will create higher-resolution exports).
    Ah. That'd be it. I *have* the full version, just haven't bothered installing it yet. I'll have to do that...