Zooming issues

I'm something of a newbie, so apologies if this question has been answered before:

I've created a large map of a continent in CC3, and I'd like to create a zoomed-in detailed map of a specific area of it as a separate file. How would I do that? I've tried exporting the larger map into the smaller one, but can't work out how to export a recangular selection to a new CC3 map - or how to persuade CC3 to ditch everything outside the map boundaries.

As a more general note, having created a shape that extends beyond the map boundary, how would I cut it down so it stays within the boundary?

Sorry for asking such basic questions.

Thanks in advance. :)

L

Comments

• just search in here for the subject 'large map to small'.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Hi there,

the process for this can be a little involved, depending on what section of your map you decide to export, due to CC3's vector nature. Here are some pointers:

1. You can use the "Save selected entities" option from the Save As menu. First mark the area you want to export on your map (with a rectangle for example), make sure all the layers you need are show and thawed, the do the Save As and select the portion of the map with the "Window" selection option, using your rectangle as a guide.

2. Use the clipboard. First open a second instance of CC3 and create a new map in the size you want (use Info > Distance to measure the distances you need). Then do Clipboard Copy (ctrl-C), select the area you want to export (again a rectangle is useful in helping select it) and paste it into the new map.

3. You can use the undocumented and experimental CUT command. Type "CUTMENUON" on the command line. In the CC3 menu, a new menu option will appear (called "Cut"). Save your map under a new name (we'll make the smaller version from this current drawing). Use Cut > Keep inside and select your whole map. Draw the rectangle to cut from across your smaller area. CC3 will remove everything outside of it.

All of these methods will need some adjustment after the described steps, with 3) doing some stuff for you already.

Primarily, CC3 will export any entities crossing your area borders as a whole, making them extend beyond your desired borders. The Cut command was designed to alleviate this, but the process breaks polygons into paths. Without the Cut command, you'll have to use the "Break" and "Trim" commands to trim any entities to your new borders. In any case (even with Cut) you'll have to use "Path to Poly" (and possible add some corners) to any of these entities.

Also, CC3 will be unable to catch an entities that have no nodes in the exported area - this will usually be the background and perhaps some larger jand features. You'll have to add these manually.

I hope this gets you started on your export. Let me know if you need more specific instructions for individual steps.
  • 21 days later
  • Hey, Ralf. Thanks for this. One point though: when I paste (I went with option 2) into a new map, the pasted terrain ends up behind the new (blank) map, and I can't work out how to get it to paste on top of the existing background. Thanks for your help, though. :)
  • Put it on its own sheet.

Bottom of the sheet list, and it will be on top.
    The Clipboard command SHOULD be respecting the correct sheet setup. Some things to check:

- Make sure your copy of CC3 is up to date (version 3.42). A free update is available from the registration page.
    - Make sure you use the same template (with the same sheet setup) for both of your maps.
    - Make sure the entities on the original map are on the correct sheets.

If this doesn't help, post your maps here so we can take a look.

Ciao,
    Ralf
  • That's all fine; thanks for that. :) Only problem now is that some of the shapes refuse to be broken (as in, the 'break' command tends to break the program rather than the object). 'Cut' does nothing to them.

What I have is three of the remaining shapes overlapping the edge of my new map. Each time I break them, or try one of the other ways, CC3 either outright crashes or performs a break, but in the wrong place and with some of the node coordinates set to infinity (or something), such that random straight lines go off everywhere and the program crashes if I do anything more to the shape, such as attempt a numerical edit.

For the record I'm dealing with maps done in the Annual Shaded Relief style.

Sorry to keep coming back with problems...
  • Make sure they aren't on a frozen layer, and aren't arcs and circles.
    They could also be grouped entities, which is likely if you are working with the hatch styles from the Landform style. Unlock groupos first (Lock/Unlock Button is in the lower right corner of the screen), before working on these.
  • I'm afraid neither of those seem to be the case. If I could simply remove the extraneous nodes in a numerical edit, I would, but I don't seem to be able to. Unlocking groups doesn't seem to do much, although I no longer get the lines going off from an unsuccessful break; all I get now is a crash.

Out of interest, is there a maximum number of nodes the program can handle in a single object?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: LeovinasOut of interest, is there a maximum number of nodes the program can handle in a single object?
    Yes, because of restrictions in the underlaying Windows Operating System. I believe the actual limit is around 10.000 or so, if I remember correctly, but the practical limit is probably a bit lower than that.
  • Right. Well, the objects I'm dealing with have 9,000, 10,000 and 14,000 respectively. I've not had such a prolonged problem before - some of the ones I've dealt with have had higher counts and no problems at all. For some reason it's just these three that are being particularly stubborn.

It would be a shame if there were no soultion out there.

Out of interest, is there any way of reintegrating an object that has been exploded? That's the only other solution which springs to mind (i.e. explode the objects, delete the fragments that are surplus to requirements, reintegrate them somehow, then path-to-poly).