Character Artist: how do you/would you use it?

Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
CA3, when we eventually release it will include additional up-to-date artwork in keeping with the new aesthetics of CC3.
Character Artist has two main purposes: images for character sheets and card stand up figures or counters. Which is more useful to you?

Comments

• jaerdaphjaerdaph Traveler
    Both are useful, but standees and counters are of more use to me.
  • Portraits first, then full body images. Never use stand up figures or counters.
  • pvernonpvernon Betatester 🖼️ 34 images Surveyor
    I am afraid both :( are very useful to me.
  • pvernonpvernon Betatester 🖼️ 34 images Surveyor
    What would be the differences in the two directions? Would it mostly be in resolution of the art, or the type of art, or ....?
  • I would use it more for portraits of PC's and NPC's. I don't really have any interest in full body images.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    In my mind, counters are very important, primarily because they can be exported to image files and used on digital battle map software. Since I don't use physical counters/miniatures, stand up figures is very far down my list however.
    However, character sheet images are also very useful.

What I really would like is also a head-only mode for only designing the head. In most cases, it is more important to show a characters face, rather than whole body, so I would really enjoy a facial template, and lots of elements to add to the face (like jewelry, piercings, tattoos, scars, etc)
  • Portraits for me. I can use generic figures on the board if I have a character-specific portrait to go with it.
    Steve
  • I want to use it, besides Crestar non-player characters, for character portraits. I've started a story web site. And being able to show the characters would be a big plus.

Having a wider range of outfits, for many genres of stories, futuristic, middle ages and modern, is important. Many more different hand held items for many different eras would be good. Different body types, not just human/humanoid is good to. Basic body shapes like 4-legs, 2-legs, octopus-like bodies. Different eye, mouth, nose, ear shapes.

All with vari-color.

My players and I are talking about getting my AD&D first edition campaign back running, and so characters on stands is also good.

I realize I went far afield with my reply, but I wanted to say why I wanted character portraits and character counters.
  • Stand up miniatures for me. Game counters second, portraits for character sheets third.
  • Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Traveler
    Mostly I've used it for counters and stand up miniatures.

More outfits and items to cover other time periods and genres is a must in the next version or even something that could be covered in an annual if including or an add on if they couldn't be in CA3 for cost and/or size reasons.

Most of the games I've played in the past and expect to play in the future have been in the modern genre setting. 1920s, 1930s, 1980s, & ealy 19990s tend to be the modern points.

Full drawn backs for use in stand up minitures is another must in a new version.

Some extensive tutorials on making new character clothing and items would be good to have as online videos or in PDF form when a new version came out.
  • 1 year later
  • I'm trying to use it for full-body portraits on character sheets.