Cutting a hole in a poly

I've been trying to figure out how to cut a hole in a poly object, is there a youtube vid or instructional document somewhere on how to do this?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited June 2011
    To do this you will need a multipoly.
    Doing this is quite simple. First, create your normal polygon. Then draw a new polygon on top of it, in the shape of the hole you need. Then click the multipoly image button, select both your polygons, then right click -> do it.
  • Wow, that was simple, thanks. Worked like a charm!
  • Just be aware that Mpolys are hybrid beasts: If you need to make a copy of one, break it back to its component pieces, then copy those and make new mpolys from those. If you just copy the original, odd things can happen.

I think there may also be some anomalies about selecting mpolies too (the component pieces can be on different layers from the mpoly). I try to avoid them, but they are exactly the right tool in some situations.

Mpolys are great, and when you need them you really need them. It's just good to be aware that there are some footnotes about using them -- if you see something odd happening with one, ask about it.