End point modifiers

Hi all I am trying to use a circle as a guide to working out how to draw buildings in a hub around a central hexagon. But several things aren't working very easily for me. Firstly I can use the parallel command, in cc3 I get the message that prl is not recognised.

Secondly how do you draw hexagons and like kind, I seem to remember their being a command like circle or square that allowed you to just put in the number pull out your mouse after clicking and you had your hex which then rotated around the point you clicked on till you got it where you wanted.

The other thing is how to use make lines radiate from a central point, like spokes on a wheel. Can anyone tell me how this is done?

Thanks

Ab

Comments

• I don't know what is going on with your parallel snap tool, that is something that could be better answered by someone else.

As for your other 2 questions, a circular array would work just fine. For the first question, drawing a hexagon, there are a couple of different ways to do this. If your parallel tool isn't working, you can draw a line from the center of the circle (using the CENTER snap) out to where you would like a corner of the hexagon to be. Use the circular array command to make 6 copies (it will ask you for the number of spokes and will make all the spokes the same distance apart. Look at the help section for more on arrays, not really that good with them myself!). Once you have 6 spokes coming out of the center of your circle just draw a line from the end of each of the spokes around the outside and that will make you a hexagon (using the END snap is helpful). This actually answers your second question too!

Good luck, and if you don't understand hopefully someone else with a little more know how can come along and explain it better!

Nick
  • Ok thanks for the input there has to be an more elegant way to produce polygons hexagone, etc.

I worked out what I was doing wrong with parrallel but I cannot get circular Array to go beyond the angle of the spokes needed. I follow the steps, origin to copy, number of spokes, centre point (I used the circle centre point to get the very middle) and then get angle at this point if I right click, press return or left click the macro ends and nothing happens. What am I doing wrong. And isn't there a simple macro to draw hexagons, octagons and so forth?

Thanks

Ab
  • edited June 2011
    Ok I got array sorted now, just need a simple way to draw hex shaped objects without having to resort to circular array.

Thanks

Ab
  • edited June 2011
    Posted By: ArbanaxOk I got array sorted now, just need a simple way to draw hex shaped objects without having to resort to circular array.
    Right click on "polygon" button. Select "regular polygon". Command bar will ask for number of nodes. Enter 6. It will then ask for you to place the center point and then you can set the outer point wherever you like. Voila! Hexes. And pentagons, and octagons, nonagons...
  • sdavies2720sdavies2720 Traveler
    edited June 2011
    Right-click the polygon icon and select "Regular Polygon". Enter the number of nodes (6) and hit enter, click where you want the center and click where you want a vertex. Pretty easy.

Steve

[Edit: Oops, "The Man" overtook me]
  • Thanks for this, I don't know how I missed that icon as I was right clicking on the other icons below to see if this was an option from there and somehow I missed the icon altogether. Fantastic, thanks

Ab