Hexmap overlay (but only in certain areas)

Greetings,

I want to create a map for use in a miniature wargaming camping, which will use hexes to regulate movement. While I know I can draw an overlay of hexes across the entirety of a map, in this case, I only want hexes to appear where players will be allowed to move their forces.

Do I just draw a hex grid over the whole map and then use a mask to cover it, erasing bits of the mask to show the hexes? If I were to do that, would that not also hide everything else, because all of the other draw layers are under the hexes?

Is there another way to do this?

Keep in mind, the hexes would have to logically connect across the map, as the hexes will generally be along road networks and it would not do to have different hex grids to cross over...if that is even possible.

Please help a guy out...an Imagi-Nation campaign awaits my mapping.

Thanks.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Posted By: khornishman
    Do I just draw a hex grid over the whole map and then use a mask to cover it, erasing bits of the mask to show the hexes? If I were to do that, would that not also hide everything else, because all of the other draw layers are under the hexes?
    Drawing a mask is one way of doing it. To ensure the mask does not cover up everything else, i would arrange my sheets something like this
    - Sheets for terrain and symbols that is under the visible hex grid
    - the Hex Grid Sheet
    - The mask sheet
    - Sheets for stuff that appear in the masked area.
    This will ensure that the mask does not cover up anything important.

The second option is to just draw the hex grid, then ungroup the grid (Tools -> Groups -> Ungroup) and simply start deleting the parts of the grid you do not want. Remember to unfreeze the grid layer first, or else you won't be able to work with it.