Scale Bars

I apologize if this has already been addressed somewhere but I was wondering how to add a map scale bar to a map that includes the correct measurements for the map?

Thanks in advance!
Jess

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    One way is to open up the cartouches symbol catalog found at #Symbols\Maps\CC3\cartouches.fcw. This includes a scale bar symbol, that when placed in the map will ask for the length of the scale bar. If you insert it into an overland using symbol scale 1.0, the scale bar is 100 miles long, so use 100 for it's scale value. If you use a different symbol scale (Because you want the bar to appear smaller/larger), you simply need to multiply 100 with the symbol scale to get the appropriate value.
  • Thanks Monsen - does this only work for the "default" scale bar or will it also work for the scale bars included in things like the annuals?
    edited June 2011
    The principle works, but you have to know the length of the scale bar. 100 is the correct value for the default scale bar I referenced you to.

This is simple to determine though. Simply insert the desired scale bar at symbol scale 1, then use Info -> Distance to measure the length of the scale bar.If it is a decorated scale bar, make sure you only measure the length of the scale lines itself, not including any extra decoration. Once you know the length of the scale bar in symbol scale 1, you can use that the same way I used the value of 100 for the default scale bar above.

You should of course insert the scale bar at a symbol scale, than when multiplied with the scale bar's true length, gives you a nice round number. Additionally, if you look at the default scale bar, it is divided into 5 sections, so you usually want a value, than when divided by 5, also gives a reasonable nice number.
  • Oh! I get it. Thanks again for the info :)
    You're welcome. Happy mapping :)