3d round walls and towers.

I'm working on a rather frustrating design, a round city in perspective view. The city is the spiritual center of its kingdom so its based on a Labyrinth.

My problem is towers. The way the basic view I've posted is done I can not split the wall to create the towers or city gates. Trying to extract arcs between towers ends up in a strait line even with snap and ortho off.

What I have here is perfect minus the towers and city gates. How can I break this wall with towers and keep its shape?

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    You can't break a fully extruded Pespectives object, as it's a composite of many different entities. I'd do the following: Draw a flat Perspectives circle for the out wall first (no height). Break gaps for your gates and towers first, and then use Extrude to make each portion of the wall into a Perspectives object.
  • Thank you Ralf. I'm having a few problems with that method too. After I split the circle some of the cut pieces do not extract at all, the ones on the right and left sides and some of the pieces extract up as a solid fill shaped like a pie slice. I'm using a 0 width line, Ive tried both solid and hollow fill styles.
    Hm, would you post your FCW file here, so I can take a look at it?
  • Here's the file after I deleted the round room I was using for the walls and started using your suggestion. The circle has been split already. I've extracted one segment to show one of the problems I'm having. Its creating a straight wall out of the arc. This one is not doing the pie slice extracts but it is failing to extract the pieces along the right and left sides.

Thanks for the help.
    Sorry, my Perspectives knowledge was a bit rusty and my instructions a bit short. Here's a more comprehensive version:

The ellipse (your perspectives circle) breaks down into elliptical arcs when you break it, which is an awkward type of entity for Perspectives work. What we really needs is a polygon or a set of paths. So how do we make the ellipse into these?

First, explode everything as far as it goes (one step of using "Explode" in this case), until you have a set of Lines, CC3's most basic entity. Then use Line to Path (from the Explode right-click menu) on these, to make the whole thing into a proper path. If you now break the entity, the section will be paths too.

You can now extrude the paths, but they will be zero width walls - something I forgot originally. To get wide walls you can use the Perspectives wall tool, choosing the thickness yourself. You'll have to follow your circular wall section by choosing each node of the wall with the Endpoint (F5) or On (F9) modifiers. I've attached an example, with the resulting wall moved to teh side you can see the section behind it.
  • Thank you Ralf.
    This will make a far better looking wall than I started with. I should also be able to add a few more towers this way too.