coordinate tracking systems?

I'm not sure the terms in regards to this question so this might be a bit jumbled.
I recall reading somewhere (might be on this forum) that there is a way to change the way the coordinates are displayed on the top left corner. They can be absolute values of the map or relative to the last point clicked when using a tool. How is that changed?

Also, is there a way to utilize either of these options when entering coordinates while using a tool? Right now, when I start placing something like a wall for DD3, I enter the absolute value for the first point (10,10) and if I want to have the second point of the wall be 30' to the right I have to enter (40,10). What I'm hoping for is a way to toggle the way the coordinates work so that after the first point I could enter the relative coordinates of (30,0) instead?

Now, if there is no way to do this currently, then I would REALLY like to see this in a future update.
Hint, hint. Ralf, you listening :)

Comments

• Click the area of the coordinates.
  • Yes, as JimP says, click on the coordinate area to cycle through the different coordinate styles:
    T: These are absolute coordinates
    @T: These are relative to the last click you made
    <T: These are circular/polar coordinates

You can do the same thing when you enter points
    First Point: (40,10)
    Second Point: @30,0 gets you to (70,10)
  • Hmm, it apparently interpreted my "greater-than" sign as the start of html... I'll try this again in text.

Cycle through the coordinate systems:
    T: Absolute coordinates
    @T: These are relative to the last click you made
    <T: These are polar coordinates (I don't use these much, but I assume it's relative to the origin)

To use these coordinate systems in the command line is as simple as using the @ or < sign:

If the first point is (40,10) and you enter @30,0 for the second point, you'll get one at (70,10)
    If you enter <90,10 for the second point, you'll get one at (40,20) (straight up 10 from the previous one)

Hope that helps
    Steve
  • bearclawbearclaw Traveler
    Wonderful! that helps tremendously!!
    Thanks!