Layers and missing text

Howdy folks, I'm new to the community and have been learning CC3 for a week or two, so consider me a newbie = )

My issue is that I have created a map, and then inserted labels for cities, etc. The odd thing is that some of my labels have moved behind the ground textures and I can't figure out how to bring them to the front. Since I can't see them, I can't just use the "bring to front" command. I'm looking for the layering system to see if I can make text its own layer and top prioritize it, but haven't had any luck.

Does anyone have an idea about how I might fix this problem? I've spent a lot of time trying to retrieve the labels and have had no luck at all. If possible I'd like to retrieve all of my current labels, but if I have to I can redo them but would want a new separate layer for that.

Thanks for the help. I love the software but the learning curve for some things has been a bit steep.

Comments

• Let's see if we can get you pointed in the right direction.

First, one key concept (or two related ones): CC3 has 'Sheets' and it has 'Layers'. Each of these are accessible from the top bar of the application. Sheets define the order in which things are draw -- think of them as clear sheets that stack on top of each other. Sheets that list at the bottom of the list are drawn last, so they show up on top of other things. Layers are logical collections of things: all doors, or all GM secrets, etc.

The bring-to-front can work within a sheet, but it won't cause something on one sheet to draw differently with respect to an item on another sheet.

So, I suspect that your text is on a lower sheet than the land. You can still select it, but without seeing it, I could see how that would be difficult. Luckily, if you bring up the Sheet list (click on the box that says Sheet:whatever in the upper border of the cc3 window). Start hiding things from the bottom, or hide everything and start showing until you see the text).

Let us know if that's not getting you what you need.

Steve
  • edited April 2011
    Thanks Steve! I still can't get some of my text back, but I now have a much much better idea of how the layers vs sheets system works and have made a quantum leap forward in my mapping.
  • I'm glad I could help you.

This is one of the core conceptual hurdles that folks have to get over.

Steve
  • If i lose something in a map. i have hid all layers and hid all sheets. The show them one at a time until I find what I lost.

Note that if the symbol definition layer is hidden, no symbols will show. I remember that for some symbols the Merge layer cannot be hidden either.

Ralf, am I on the money, or way off again ?
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Pretty close. :D The MERGE layer has some other effects, like symbol effects not working when it's hidden. It doesn't influence symbols.

Going through the sheets one by one to find stuff i've "lost" is the first thing I do too.
  • Whew... I feel much better.