Custom Color in Fractal Terrains?

So, I've been searching the forums and help and haven't found a how-to, and I'm hoping it's not as brute-force an answer as I'm afraid it might be....

I'd like to make a custom color map for altitudes. I'm creating a world which starts out with no life, but with oceans, eroded, naked landscape, nothing much in the way of green. I can find ones that would do for bare worlds with no oceans, or worlds with oceans and life, but nothing for a world with oceans and no life.

So far I've notebooked the color definition files and with my graphic design background I could totally hack it if I had to by using the RGB coordinates, but it seems like a no-brainer that on the color scheme menu there ought to be a "new" button, which would lead to a color selection dialog, and the ability to select varying numbers of boxes for a given color for a more or less complicated color scheme.

Am I missing something? Does such a dialog exist, but I'm looking in the wrong place? Or is there an easier way (or a different display mode) that's more likely to give me what I'm wanting?

Comments

• Okay, I see where I was going wrong... colors seriously limited to 256 total colors? That seems... arbitrary. Is there a way to define custom colors to get more refined results along a smoother curve? I'm also finding the blend settings non-intuitive.
  • And for others, what I was doing was trying to find a way of defining a custom scheme from the "pick styles" dialog, when what I really needed to be doing was going to the altitude tab and picking colors there. But still... the color options seem artificially limited.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    CC3 uses a palette of 256 colors in keeping with hardware capabilities of the 1990s, back when VGA ruled the Earth. FT appears follows that plan as well. Holding down the Shift key when clicking to pick a color might give you more options, though.

I also vaguely recall that you can edit the color definition files by hand if you're into RGB values.
  • Yeah, I finally was pointed to the terraformer package, which spells out what I was afraid I was going to have to do: hack the lgt files.

Not impressed, though the terraformer package *did* give more options. Now I'm trying to understand why FT doesn't preserve the image climate on save and reopen... :(